Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here in the UK there has recently been an issue with trapeze harness safety which was to lead to compulsory wearing of 'quick release' type harnesses for dinghy / cat racers from Jan. 2006, due to fears of crew being trapped / entangled under upturned boats and not being able to remove harnesses in good time, although this has now been postponed for a few years,........ I guess to allow more research and development of these harnesses.
I thought I would try and gauge opinions on this matter over on your side of the pond.
I have recently started to wear an over vest garment, made from light weight stretchy lycra with a purpose made hole for the trapeze hook to protrude, which covers all straps and buckles and stops them from getting snagged,both on the boat (brilliant) and I guess in the water too, others at my local sailing club feel this is even more dangerous, what are your views ? Is this an issue over there or are you already using quick release harnesses , and do they ever accidently release while trapping?which is my major concern.
Views please, Regards.

Post subject: Quick release
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't like wearing a shirt over my harness because I like to be able to get stuff (knife, whistle, snack. etc) out of the pockets of my life jacket. I have been using the RWO quick release spreader bar. The quick release works with the push on a botton on the top of the spreader bar. I keep an extra hook in my life jacket in case I lose one. The hook stays on the dogbone very well and I have not lost one yet. The only thing I don't like is the spreader bar is not as wide as my old one so my hips get sore after several hours of being on the wire. I like the fact I can pop the hook off if I am not planning on going out on the wire (light air sailing).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:26 am 
Site Admin

Quick release harness rule... ISAF delays introduction

The rule change was delayed to 2009.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Chicken Line Safety
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harness is one thing. How about the Chicken Line?

But what is the generally excepted view of the safety of the so called "Chicken Line?" I understand that the Chicken Line is a line that attaches near the rear of the boat, connects to the trapeze handle, and is intended to prevent the crew from swining forward when the bow stuffs. Does the crew hang up on this (even upside down)? Is there a correct way (safe way) to attach the chicken Line's hook to the trapeze?

Post subject: Chicken line
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always raced spinnaker boats with a chicken line for the crew and would never consider sailing without....... And yes my crew agrees :lol:

We found that on our old Tornado and now F-18, if we stick the nose in with the chicken line on, we never swim and we have stuck the nose in, in some horendous seas and winds. If both crew stay at the back, the boat will slow dramaticaly, then slowly drive through and bow pops out. If in doupt, just check out what the top T boys favour.

As far as safety goes, without a chicken line you will more than likely face a swim with the danger of going around the front and being ran over or caught under the kite.

With a chicken line, if you do manage to capsize the line is likely to still break under your jolting body weight, hook could straighten and if it doesn't, you will just hang there until the hull lowers (starts to turtle) enough for you to release. Hardly a dangerous scenario.

PS - chicken line attaches to the trapeze ring / dog bone by way of a hook.

Post subject: Chicken Line Safety
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I appreciate your comments. I just learned of this chicken line. I will be trying it out. We've definitely done the "round the world" routine after stuffing the bow.

I don't exactly want to put holes in my hull so I'm looking for simple ways to attached it, say to the rudder bracket. My only concerns were the safety (you've answered that) and the coordination of the crew getting it connected to the harness. I assume you just reach back ad grab it, look down, and connect it? The crew has to do all of this while hanging on to a full spinnaker? Or this there a better way?

Seems like a great concept!

Post subject: Chicken line
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Heres a diagram I drew up of the chicken line.

Image[/url]

Post subject: Chicken Line
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you!

You're from Sydney? Do you know Linda Lee?

So just reach down and attach the hook after getting into harness? Crew holds onto spinnaker and does the chicken walk, too?

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a slick idea! I just started a new thread on righting line/chicken line styles on the 18 Forum, and I like the looks of this little number. Would you rig 2 of these on each side (one for helmsman and one for crew)? Or is the helmsan supposed to crash into the crew when the bow stuffs, and you just hope the chicken line holds you both?

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject: Re: Chicken line
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

F18_ALIVE wrote:
Heres a diagram I drew up of the chicken line.

Image[/url]

This is how we rig the chicken line on our Tiger. We also use a T handle just under the hook so it is easy to grab out of the end of the cross bar.

Rather than tying the end of the chicken line round the rudder pin we have an eye strap in each transom, backed up by big washers under the nuts inside the hull.

We only really use the chicken line when distance racing - but that is where most of our ocean racing occurs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bruce, Yes I am from Sydney. Sorry don't know Linda. I have only just joined the F-18 class and I am not on a Hobie.

Bill, just one per side. We only use the chicken line in the big stuff and only the crew is out and it is not used so much as to prevent them from going around the front. Crew will get the back foot on the rudder and try and position body at 45 degrees from hull (weight behind rudders). Hold the kite sheet and lazy end of the kite sheet in opposite hands and use to balance. The chicken line is used to keep your feet on the hull. Once attached, lean out straight and it will tension forcing your feet down onto the hull.

Post subject: Love the hook
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We use the Chicken line a lot. In big winds going downwind with swells I will ask Eileen if she is "Locked and Loaded" before I really drive the boat hard. It only takes her about a second to hook up. It is attached to the trapeze handle not the trapeze harness. Just want to make sure that people reading this and never seeing one understand that. I may try using the T handle to see if we like it one day, sounds interesting. We only have a hook on a line that is bungeed into the crossbar and tied to the transom. Slack line is inside the crossbar when not in use.

Later,
Dan

Post subject: Chicken Line
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh, I get it! Thanks Dan. Connecting it to the trapeze handle would help things alot. I'll get one on my boat!

F18_Alive -- I'll give the T-Handle a try as well. The T-handle has got to make it easier to grab. I just couldn't imagine fumbling for the S-hook while hanging on to the spinnaker. The T-Handle would make it easier to grab and maybe hook. Also, yep, I figured it would be a long-shot that you'd know Linda. Sydney must be a big place, ey? I met her at Rick White's seminar.

Sail-On! I'll do my sailing with a chicken line from now on! Thanks for the help.