Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am installing a mid pole snuffer on my used Tiger and i need to know the lenght and the width of the spinaker sheet and of the retriever line.
Thank you for attention

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spinnaker Sheet or Halyard?

The spinnaker sheet length is not going to change. The halyard/retriever length barely changes unless you are changing to a one line does all system. That means that with one line you will be pulling the tack of the spin out to the end of the pole and pulling the head up while pulling the same line.

Most of the Mid pole boats on the West coast are using a seperate tack line. I made my own end pole snuffer and I am the only one using a system without a tack line on a Tiger.

If you are thinking about adding line for a halyard I would highly recommend getting a tapered system worked out. By doing this you will be a hero especially if your crew has delicate hands. I use 1/4 inch Conception line spliced into a 1/8 Vectron. I bought it spliced from apsltd.com.

I end the Conceptions end is just before it exits the cleat. This way my crew knows exactly when to quit pulling without using a force (brute strength) measurement. My halyard cleat is about 2 1/2 feet above the deck of the boat. The mast base to the spinnaker halyard block is just under 27 feet. You will have to allow for tying it on the head of the spin as well. That means that I am using 27 - 2.5 + 5 about 25 feet of Vectron. Then 22 (up to douse hole) + 10 (length of pole) + 4 (under tramp) + 4 (top of tramp) + 2.5 (up to cleat) + 3 (slack) = 45.5 of Conception. Total length 67.5.

You may want to put yours on the crossbar, I do not know. I think it is definitely better where I put it for lots of reasons. Anyway if you decide to do this you will have to put a temporary line in to make the measurements exact. If one line will not be long enough you may be able to tie a couple together for this experiment.

The other variable is where you intend to put the turning point of the retriever line. I run mine to the mid point of the trampoline. Most here, on the West, run theirs to the back crossbar. This will be about an 8 foot difference. All of the snuffer dead end points will be at the back of the snuffer bag, about the front crossbar, when the spinnaker is snuffed.

You will need a bit of slack for setting and dousing.

Later,
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan

Thank you for your reply

when I brought the tiger the spinaker sheet did not come with it (thats why i need to know the length) only the Halyard of standart bag spinaker launching system.
The Halyard cleat is on the front cross bar and I was thinking of copying the diagram from the Hobiecat web pages but I am interest in your system, puting the cleat on the mast. Do you have any pictures or diagrams, that would help.
The reason I am asking this is because there are only 2 Tigers in Brazil and they are 1000 miles apart, and my boat is in a small town, and no sailing equipment stores around. So to keep on sailing on the weekends there isnt much room for mistakes.

Again thank you fro your atention

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fernando wrote:
Dan

Thank you for your reply

when I brought the tiger the spinaker sheet did not come with it (thats why i need to know the length) only the Halyard of standart bag spinaker launching system.
The Halyard cleat is on the front cross bar and I was thinking of copying the diagram from the Hobiecat web pages but I am interest in your system, puting the cleat on the mast. Do you have any pictures or diagrams, that would help.
The reason I am asking this is because there are only 2 Tigers in Brazil and they are 1000 miles apart, and my boat is in a small town, and no sailing equipment stores around. So to keep on sailing on the weekends there isnt much room for mistakes.

Again thank you fro your atention

We use around 52' on our spin sheet for buoy racing. Our sheet is actually about 50' long but is really a little marginal when the wind really howls. We use Maffioli Swiftcord - 8mm. It looks way too thin when you first handle it but if fluffs up with time.

For distance racing our line is a little longer to permit rigging a doubler - only perhaps 4 ft.

We run from the normal edge of hull turning block to the front cross beam and then to a turning block on a bungee cord at the rear cross beam. This gives slack when more sheet is required in high wind conditions.

Chris.