Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
Just recently started sailing a tiger and loving it. The problem is that myself and my crew are both relatively lightweight- 130kg total.
Sailing is great but righting is a problem. We can right the cat from normal capsize with a help of makeshift righting bags - big shopping bags strapped over the shoulder filled with water.
Turtle we find unrecoverable. We tried to recover from an on-purpose turtle in 4-5 bft, very little chop. Boat positioned itself beam to wind. Both standing at the lee hull stern and leaning out using the righting line looped over the windward hull we were able to only lift the trampoline about a quarter out of the water.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Wojtek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.mariner-sails.com/partdetail.asp?id=23602
:D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Woj

Tigers are pretty easy to right (easier than a H16) if you get the sail in the right position. I've gone over a couple of times without a crew and have been able to right it by myself - 80kgs of me.

Have a try at this:
- Once the boats onto it's side get the righting rope over the top hull.
- Next get your body weight towards the nose of the hull until it's slowly turned so the sail is parallel to the wind, hulls are nose to wind.
- Feed about a meter of slack off the righting rope and loop this around your trapeze harness and back up to your hand to lock it off.
- Lean out and use your body weight forward and back on the hull to maintain the mast parallel. Even better if you've got the crew with you, get them to lean on top of you.

Secret's in the positioning of the sail and mast. Too far downwind and you'll just force it to turtle more.

Gav

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They remind me of water-starting a windsurfer. You need to get the air flowing under the mast and leveraging the leading edge of the sail out of the water. Wind power is the key.

Turtling, you need to have the hull opposite the one you are standing on INTO the wind. Same principle.