Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those days when its nuclear and you have done everything you can but are still way over powered, why not pull out a cut down sail? Has anyone done this? Are there rules against it? I have always wondered what it would be like if you had an old main cut down. I know the sails have "reefing points" already but everyone know that they cant realisticly be used. It must be a stupid idea or have been done before?

How would you do it and still maintain the back stay effect for when flying the spinnaker?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast is adjustable to tune for higher winds - tightened up the diamond wires - and rake the mast back (and rake the spreader back more too) and you will have a much flatter sail that is better in strong winds.

There is a point where you get out of control - and that could be at around 20 - 25mph winds...even the best sailors in the world get sent in to the beach if it gets too strong - so don't expect to stay in control in winds that exceed the boats capability. I think trying to reef a sail is something that people may have done, I've just never seen it...we just don't go out on the water if conditions are too extreme - it can be dangerous, and we respect the power of mother nature.