Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halyard sheave issues.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The main on our 18 month old Tiger has been getting harder and harder to hoist. On the weekend I layed the boat over (we leave the rig up) and discovered that the sheave at the top of the mast is jamming on the top of the extrusion. It appears that one or more of the following is the cause.

1. The extrusion wasn't cut short enough in way of the sheave when the boat was built.

2. The housing for the sheave has become elongated and the sheave has been pulled down until it is now in contact with the track.

3. The entire halyard lock/sheave assembly has been pulled down (we run a 16:1 Cunningham).

My short term fix was to file the edges of the sheave to reduce the diam and there for remove the friction but if 2 or 3 are the issue this will only be a temporary solution.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so which of the three did you put it down to? Do I need to remove the whole assembly and file down the track a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple of things we've noticed on boats over the years experiencing that problem.

The extrusion is cut too close to the sheave and needs to be cut down so that it does not come in contact with the sheave. We've done this a few times without taking the sheave itself off by just hack sawing the corner of the luff track extrusion off.

The other issue we've encountered is from resting the top of the mast on the ground (dirt, sand) when stepping the mast and freezing up the sheeve because of the grit. In that case, take the sheave off and clean.

If either of those don't work then post some pictures for us to take a look at to help resolve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks,

Its definately the mast not cut short enough issue. Filling some meterial from the sheave edge definately helped (I didn't have a hack saw on hand), but I might remove a little more material from the mast this weekend to make sure.