Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also posted this in the H18 forum, but I thought that I might get a few more F18 sailors who run a spinnaker to respond too.

So I am 90% of the way to getting my spinnaker set up on my H18SX. I thought I was all the way there this weekend but failed.

I'm trying to set up my spinnaker with one halyard/retrieval line that also brings the tack in and out. My buddy has his set up on his H21 and it's easy as pie to use. He even single hands his H21 and flys his chute.

The difference between what I'm trying to do and my buddies is that I wanted to mount my cleat on the mast, and he cleats his on the front crossbar. I got this idea from the forums where all the F18 sailors are doing this and I wanted to be as cool as them.

The halyard/snuffer routing was from the head of the sail, up to the halyard block on the top of the mast, down through the cleat on the mast, down to a turning block on the crossbar, out to the double blocks on the tack line, back to the end of the tramp through a turning block that went through my snuffer sock and up to the snuffer patches on the chute.

I can't exactly remember the tack line routing, but I think it was tied off at the end of the pole, through the set of double blocks and then to the tack of the chute.

I guess my question is, for those of you with your cleat on the mast, how exactly are you routing your lines? Are you running a separate tack line from the halyard? I'd really like to use the cleat on the mast, and run a single halyard/snuffer without a separate tack line.

Thanks so much,

Adam

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most mast mounted set ups have a seperate tack line. The only combined ones I have seen from the mast use an internal tack line in the spin pole.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's what I was afraid of. So is anyone doing a mast mounted combined system?

Adam

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Adam
I'm not sure I think maybe one of the Capricorns had that set up. Personally I tried the combined set up but decided I didn't like it. It takes away some of the adjustability of the spin. It could be done will just take some routing.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Adam,

It can be done as Rich states. Some things to consider though...a mast mounted, single line system can bias the mast to one side (depending on which side of the mast you mount the cleat) because of the pressure on the halyard/tack line coming from the end of spin pole. This could inhibit mast rotation. On the two separate line, mast mounted cleat systems...only the spin halyard pressure runs parallel with the mast and does not interfere with or limit mast rotation. That is one reason why single line systems attach to and cleat on the front crossbar.

Personally I find the one line system slow to hoist. Setting a separate tack line between A and the Offset then hoisting is quicker in racing situations and helps you from getting rolled by your competition.

Some things to think about. Good luck.

John Bauldry
Hobie Wild Cat USA194
Commerce, MI