Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read with interest the post on creating a chicken-wire for the crew to use off the wind.

I made up the system as per the post and upon testing it found it a bit to risky to use as far as potential damage to the hull, maybe the shock-cord was too strong - I used the 6mm black stuff used for the Trapeze.

So I pondered for a moment and came up with an alternative that works fairly well and is simple to set up.

I fitted a saddle to each transom - as previously suggested (Don't use the rudder pins!) - used large washers on both sides (3/4" 15mm approx).

Tied off 2 mts of 3mm Spectra to the centre of the Skippers Trapeze Shock-cord and feed back under the tramp to the rear eyelet (one per side). Fit a small pulley to the end of the 3mm Spectra.
Feed 1.5mts of 3mm Spectra with a hook (plastic) - maybe it needs to be stainless - thru the pulley and tie off on the transom saddle.

Pull out the Skippers Shock-cord on each side to initially retract the Chicken-wire hooks on both sides of the boat.

Using it: the Crew hooks up their dog bone as normal and on the way to the back of the boat reaches down and grabs the Chicken-wire hook and connects to the dog bone.

Because the centre of the Trapeze Shock-cord has moved to the windward side with the crew, the Windward side Chicken-wire retriever line has slack in it. This allows the crew to easily fit the hook. The leeward side Chicken-wire is automatically retrieved onto the rear of the tramp by the action of the Trapeze Shock-cord being pulled to the windward side.

When the gybe occurs and the crew goes across and does the usual things crews have to do (just about everything on a Tiger :!:), they hook up and the same action occurs to the Chicken-wire. The slack on the now leeward side is taken up and the Chicken-wire is retrieved.