Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Now that I'm getting familiar with all the main and jib trim options, I'm finally ready to try the spinnaker for the first time and would like to hear your preferences for setting up the retrieval line.

Some pictures show the retriever line coming out of the snuffer and goiing through the first hole from the bottom to the outside of the spinnaker, then back inside the second hole from the bottom, then back through the top hole with a figure 8 to stop it. My spinnaker came with small stainless o-rings mounted to the inside of the 1st and 2nd holes from the bottom, which I assume are for the retrieval line to go through and stay on the inside of the spinnaker. Another picture also showed a very small line (safety line?) being tied from the top hole up to the spinnaker head.

So, what's the best way to set this up, and what is the safety line for?

Thanks!

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The retrieverline comes out of the snuffer and tru the lowest ring of your spi than on tru the second ring and with a bowline knot on the top hole /ring

I never used a safety line
And some tips
http://www.northsails.com/RADUPLOADS/On ... ge%201.pdf

http://www.northsails.com/RADUPLOADS/On ... 20Diam.pdf

470 sailnr NED 560 sold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Johan! The trimming links were really helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Adding a little more to the discussion,
when looking at your chute in the hoisted position make sure the rings are on the starboard side of the chute as you normally hoist on starboard tack and the retrival line runs out easier and doesn't interfere with the chute as much.
Also, I just changed how my bungied block on the back of the tramp is set up. see the NACRA Infusion assembly manual.
With the bungie going across the back of the trampoline it gives the retrieval line bungie a bit more stretch. couldn't believe how much better it works now.
Since I am still getting used to flying a chute on a small cat. Here are some of the things I've found out and don't mind passing them on.
Myth: pop the chute and jump to the back of the boat.
Negative: fore and aft balance downwind with the chute is critical for having fun.
If you jump to the back of the boat and you are dragging your stern your angle of the rudders are now kicked way under the boat and you will have major lee helm. Move forward!
It took me a handfull of chute runs to figure this one out and it was by accident. I was sailing singlehanded on the wire with the chute and moved forward to ease the downhaul and boom the lee helm disappeared. Then the light went on in my head.

If you are new to chute flying start by sailing very deep and learn to trim with just a slight curl in the luff, get comfortable hoisting, dowsing and going out on the wire. Then heat it up as you get comfy.
Hardest part for me and I'm still getting the hang of it is to just have the weather hull skimming the water by heading up and down to control the hull height. and lastly make sure your crew eases the chute when you get a puff!
Oh, one last thing hoist and dowse once on land to make sure all the lines are run correctly before you hit the water.

Anyway that's my 2 cents and bad spelling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

And an other imported thing is ,when sailing with the spi up and a puff hits you and the hull is flying bear away ,NEVER LUFF UP

And pull your main sheet on and let it be , work only with the traveller
If you let go of the mainsheet traveller you can lose your mast

sailing with spi, hull kissing the waves and a puff .or increase from wind comes

1 Bear away ,untill the hull drops and luff up again
2 let the traveller out
3 ease the spin sheet

Yust start with 2 bft to try ,and if you got the feeling you can eventually sail with 5 bft and the crew on the helmswire trapezing

Hand steer with the crossbar ,let the joystick drag behind the boat ( specially when your crew is out of the wire )

470 sailnr NED 560 sold