Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ordered Hobie tramp for my 2001 tiger. Mine has the fiberglass spar in back. The hobie replacement cam as two part ??? With grommets aft in tramp and another grommeted strip? Is this wrong one or updated? Can I lace grommets instead of rod? But what and where does the grommeted strip go?

Matt B. ??? Any ideas? Wrong one? Mine is slid into side tracks... New one does too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:14 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Don't know - haven't seen one like that. Sounds like it's the wrong style.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ron...early production Tigers had tramps that attach through "tracks" cut into both inboard hull sides. The front of the tramp attached to the bottom of the crossbar extrusion and the rear had a heat welded pocket with fiberglass rod that was laced to the back of the rear crossbar extrusion from underneath. This is your original tramp. Later year Tigers had a design change to make manufacturing easier. The front crossbar was inverted so now the tramp attaches from the top of the extrusion. The sides no longer attached to the hulls (no cut hull tracks needed...easier to manufacture) but rather were loose in a "suspension" design with only a line threaded through a heat welded pocket and attached to eye straps at the front and rear crossbars. You made a truckers knot in the line to cinch it equally tight on each side. There are also two small grommets spaced an inch apart on each side about midway between the crossbars to tie down the side of the tramp to the hull. BUT the rear of the tramp did not change. It still had the heat welded pocket with fiberglass rod and was laced from underneath in the same fashion. This tramp design continues to be used on current production Wildcats. I have experience with all three...on my 2002 Tiger (old tramp design), 2005 Tiger (new tramp design) and 2010 Wildcat. You can check out my boat this weekend at Higgins and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

John Bauldry
USF18 Vice Chair & Northern Area Rep
Hobie F18 USA413

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a few different generation of tramps
The first was one that was like the one you received - it laces in the back - the strip slides into a track built into the rear bar. The second style was one piece and it had a rod in back and laced onto eyelet posts on the rear of the beam. The current style doesn't slide into track in the hulls - it is side cut and suspended with a line that attaches at 4 corners to a padeye screwed into the beam - and it laces across the back with eyelet posts.

Sounds like you need version #2 - you received #1
You could use #3 if you installed pad eyes - or you can us Version 1 if your rear beam has a track in the underside - we likely only had the first version and current style in stock - so it'll need to be special order over from Hobie Cat Europe. Have your dealer return the tramp to Hobie Cat if it's not working for you. We'll get the correct tramp ordered and get it shipped over for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

JB...sounds like another version is out there. I stand corrected.

The Older JB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was aware of the old and new. I wasn't aware of the early grommet version. I've not tried to install it yet I wondered if I could lace the grommets to the black pegs on the back of the aft crossbar? Mine has the rod in pocket. So I assume no track for the strip.
My dealer rarely responds to email so I ordered from a Chicago area dealer that replied promptly. I'm disappointed since shipping to dealer and then to me was a good bit of the cost. Now I pay 40 to send it back and dealer may want to charge me to re ship me the new one?
I wished dealers I new these things. I already have over 800.00 Into it and 3 weeks wait. Now I won't get the right one installed this year. Two more regattas and mine has several rips. Hoping we don't fall through it. I don't get all the dealer hassles. I asked if the dealer could get hobie to drop ship to me. They said hobie wouldn't because I didn't use my closer dealer? Huh? Now fedex ships it to my dealer, they ship to hobie. Hobie Europe ships to hobie. Then hobie to dealer then dealer to me. At 40 a pop minimum. Appears only fedex wins. Hobie makes it more attractive to buy the 400 non hobie brand product due to all their dealer restrictions. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Rojoyinc wrote:
Hobie makes it more attractive to buy the 400 non hobie brand product due to all their dealer restrictions. :-(

Hobie makes it attractive to buy from your own local dealer. That is the only point here.

Unfortunately, the Tiger has seen many changes over the years, so your information to a dealer about what you have/need is the critical link to getting the right parts to you. Also, there is no need to spend a ton on returning a trampoline via air freight. We commonly use FedEx ground at a much lower cost.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My local dealer 2 hour drive rarely returns emails. They're to big to care about hobie people. I went next closest who responded right away. I don't pick by distance. I pick by service. 40 bucks will be ground. Size weight and insurance.