It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Claus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:56 am Post subject:

Maybe you have an older sail? We could not get our downhaul below the silver sticker, even with the incredible Hulk as a crew...

Pull the Mainsheet on Harder and you will find the downhaul pulls down with ease. Are you using 16:1 on your purchase. My wife crews for me and she can do this quite easily with the new main we have purchased for the worlds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lets see if we are talking about the same thing: There is a silver band on the mast, about 2-3 inches wide which on its upper side has a black band. The lower side of the silver band is practically at the same height as the mount of the mast rotator. So you say you get the luff of the main lower than the black band, to the lower side of the silver band ?? This is impossible for us, we can get the luff to the black band with 16:1 and at this position one has to crank really hard.

See for example:

This is about the toughest setup we can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:30 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Joclo is right man, it can go, just use the force. Go to the bottom of the silver sticker. Lots of mainsheet on at the time will help get you there. The diffrence in boat speed is phenomenal.

I've been doing it for ages without gear failure but.....Word of warning. If you break something dont hassle poor JB for warranty.

The picture above, I was there, those Frenchies just beat me for the Pie Weight division (175kg plus)

Cheers

Scott

Ringa Ding Ding...Scotty's the King!!!

Hobie Dealer, Mornington Australia

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

After almost one year and experimenting a lot - YES, downhaul can be tightened well into the silver band. And the cat gets a lot fast with wind :wink: Thanx again guys!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Downwind in a blow

While going downwind in a blow it is best not to loosen the downhaul. You will find that the boat is more tame with a bit of downhaul. You can also keep the mast rotation rather tight. Best to have the boards up at least half way. If you are choosing to keep the chute in down the boat is not so comfortable. It really likes the spinnaker up in a blow. Crew trapped out and rear foot on the transom unless the waves will knock them off the boat. They have to be really big or really short to do that as the skipper should be flying the hull and keeping them high and dry. Sheet main hard and travel down about 6 inches if you need to.

Later,
Dan