Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have been sailing our Tiger for just over a year now and have improved enough to finish on the same lap as the winners :? .

However we have a real problem in strong breeze (18kts plus) bearing off from a beat to a downwind leg - say returning to the start line - without wishing to raising the spin.

We generally end up on our side. We have a technique problem and was wondering if the forum has some advice.

I sail with Rod Warehouse of H16 fame and his suggestion has been to release the main traveller and downhaul, bear off and then fully release the main and jib.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So it sounds like you are having a problem with the transition upwind to downwind? That is where the sail and the water have a family reunion?

I am thinking about that transition in wind. First thing is do not let the downhaul off all the way before bearing off, that will power up the sail. As you are turning both of you will have to get on the boat. Crew eases off the jib a fair amount so their weight is less critical on the wire. They have to sit near the back of the boat on the round down but the skipper will need to come in as well so crew will live a little room for that. The Crew can ease the main traveler down so the skipper can sit on the boat. Both will be sitting near as they can to the upwind rear crossbar Ease the mainsheet out as you bear away. Do not reach the boat you will want to get the boat in a very downwind point of sail. Then ease off the downhaul and rotator. Do not put up the spinnaker while the mainsheet is eased.

If you are ready to deploy the spinnaker you sheet the main tight and keep going downwind deep. This will allow your crew to set the chute quickly. There will be very little load on it. When you are ready you start sailing up until you feel the hull lift. If it pops up instead of gliding up increase your downhaul until you feel comfortable controlling it.

The boat is actually easier to handle, in my opinion, with the spinnaker up downwind. The bows will have a little lifting from the chute. You may not notice that at first as it is rather confusing to you but as you get more comfortable with it you will.

Later,
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan - thanks - I checked the actual wind condtions and they where 20knts plus with gust to 28knts, so yes there was heaps of wind.

I'll try this technique this weekend and advise how we go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pleased to advise that Dan's suggestions worked very well. We raced in 25 - 35 knts over the weekend and had no problems with the tranisition to the spin run.

I assume the same technique should be used when having to gybe during the downwind run under the same conditions?

Have been keeping the main on hard during the gybe and quite often the boat gets very unstable just after the gybe.

It was interesting as were racing 3 Nacra F18 Infusions and a Capricorn In very light breeze < 5knts we could not get near them. But over 15 knts with chop we could chase and pass then upwind and hold them downwind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have always been of the impression that light air is more challenging than heavy air. Heavy air sailing in my opinion is a function of balance, light air sailing adds the function of technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Uhm... technique, yes I would agree - and my technique clearly sucked in light air! :( . But I'll have to train more in light air - our usual breeze is 15knts plus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Spent the weekend racing a few other F18s (6) - once again - light air for most of the weekend - very slow - I believe I had to much pre-bend, too much rack and the rig too tight. Forecast was 10-15 Sat and then 20-30 Sun. Wind did not happen. I backed off the Pre-bend and it made a small diff. But the Narcas and Capricons we way faster in less than 8 knts

Sunday last race - we got 8-12knts, the boat just came alive and left the Nacras and Capricorns for dead, could not believe the difference, it was like a switch was thrown.

We are putting together a F18 circuit to get more practise and training opportunities - we hope to get up to 15 F18 racing regularly.

My club http://www.pbsc.org.au now has 5 Tigers - we have grown from 1 in July 2006 (mine). Mostly learning - so I will be passing on the great info from this site to the new guys.