Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys and gals, I am relatively new to owning a hobie h18 and sailing it. I am still getting used to the technical references and phrases used when describing sailing in general, so please be easy on me. Sounds like there are lots of highly experience sailors using this forum that are reliable sources for info. My boat is a 1978 standard hobie H18 that I take alot of pride in owning, sailing and taking care of. I have owned, sailed and LOVED it for a whole season now!. Everything on the boat, seems like, is in good condition other than the sails. I have spent countless hours and many late nights cleaning, scrubbing, de-oxidizing the hulls and daggers, as well as replacing all lines, shock cords, small pieces and pullies and or blocks. From what I've seen and heard from other local sailors and what i feel like is that my sails are at least becoming "sacked out" (stretched and worn) and i would like to replace them. I was thinking of replacing them with a PentexR square top main and pentex jib combo from Whirlwind Sails. Has anyone owned a set of these or heard anything about these sails? I am referring to the performance and durability of these sails vs. standard sails made by Hobie or others. These sails by Whirlwind will cost me approximately $400-$600 more. I think i need sails anyway and just wanted some input on whether or not this would be a good way to "hotrod" my "hobester" according to all you relative "pros" out there. Anything would appreciated! Thanks -wes-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If that extra 400-600 doesn't bother you then go for it. Performance wise I don't believe it has much to offer unless you plan on competing and the other boats have square tops, but I've never seen an 18 with a square top. If you're just looking to sail for fun and it was me in your shoes, I'd get a brand new set of Hobie sails and throw that extra money saved into other stuff on the boat like a new tramp or some new blocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Pentex material doesn't tolerate flogging or abrasion very well. I would hesitate to use it on the 18's big, overlapping jib. It just won't last very long. Dacron will last much longer.

Post subject: Pentex
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I totally agree with Matt Bounds (Matt you never thought you would hear that ...) about Pentex. I like Pentex as a material for the Mainsail but for the jib I preferr "racing dacron" I have a set of Smythe sails for my _-19mx that origonally started as a pentex Main and Jib set. The pentex did not hold up too long for the jib. We started one morning with a jib and by that afternoon I had a "paint tarp", it was amazing how fast the change happened. It was blowwing and we were dumping the jib alot (the "mx" has a huge overlap jib). By the end of the day the jib was delaminated and had pinholes in the material. I got 1 1/2 seasons out of it.

So, I had the replacement jib (made by Smythe) constructed of "racing dacron". The pentex jib my by faster initially but my feeling is that it deteriorates much faster (especially with novice crew) and you try to stretch the use of the jib life, resulting in a overall slowwer average speed over time.

If you have "deep Pockets", experienced crew, want go fast and don't mind buying a new jib every year: Pentex

If you sail novice crew, don't have alot of $$$, want/need the jib to last more then one season: Racing Dacron

Hope my experiences help

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11