Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Youth in the Northwest
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to thanks the people dedicated to seeing sailing continue to succeed here in the Northwest.

My daughter and her freind from school are one of the three teams from Sail Sand Point, they are both 13 so they are young and realatively new to this major of an event. I hope that with a good expierience they will continue on with the competion in the Multihull events.

These teams are recieving tremendous support from Gerry, Laura, Peter and many other people. They have have donated not only time but equipment including dry suits for the kids to use in training and sailing.

It would be great to keep this going beyond our April Multihull Regatta in Longbeach, and see these youth teams at the regattas this summer.

If you are in the Division 4 area, or local to Seattle please come to the Monday night racing at Sail Sand Point where there are several Hobie 16 and Waves available to begin developing our youth sailors.

Good luck: and more inportant, have fun, to the youth teams,
Mike Hensel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wholeheartedly agreed!

On a slightly related note, Shane Atchley made it as a "Hobie Profile" in the latest Hotline. When is he going to move up to a 16 and get some good crew started? ;)

Can't wait to get back on the water!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tim your not back on the water yet, why we have been out three times this month. Yesterday was quite a lot of fun.

Will there be a group of you from Portland coming up here for 101?
We hope to have a full day on Saturday them more of a fun sail on Sunday.

Post subject: Shane's Dad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shane used to crew for me on a Hobie 18 in Division 3. WE sailed in everything from huge ocean swells at Monterey, to warm lakes in the Sierra's. I enjoyed our quality time immensly.

One of the hardest things I did in sailing was to stay on the beach for two seasons so that Shane could get out on his own.

It was sure worth it.

To see him at the helm of a Tiger on Lake Washington Sunday flying a hull in strong winds was huge for me. I haven't even got to drive one yet. But in between wishing I was driving, I was filled with pride. And a big thanks to Gerry for letting four teenagers use his $15,000 Tiger. ( I would have stayed home too )

Sometimes we just have to know when to get out of their way.

P.S. I'm driving to Santa Cruz to get my own Tiger in two weeks. And Shane's getting an older 16 to race with his new crew Dylan Heacock, also 14 years old.

Watch out! Here they come...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

And Shane obviously gets his good looks from his Mom. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mike hensel wrote:
Tim your not back on the water yet, why we have been out three times this month. Yesterday was quite a lot of fun.

Will there be a group of you from Portland coming up here for 101?
We hope to have a full day on Saturday them more of a fun sail on Sunday.

Our first on-the-water is going to be March 17 on Yale lake. The water temp of the Columbia is hovering right around 36F and early this month it actually froze over near the shore, up to 1" thick, so it's not been the best for sailing.

As for the 101, I have no idea. It was great having it down here last year, but we really suffer from not having a good location to hold it. Last year it was at the Vancouver Lake Sailing Club; the club is nice and the launch is nice, but frankly I don't like sailing in a lake that they close mid-summer for being unsanitary - oh, and don't capsize because there is about 8' of water and 10' of mud underneath you.

Seattle is a ways to go but it sure offers a better area for beginners than we have down here, at least at the moment.\

Excited about this year? You sail a Tiger, correct? Sounds like there will be a few new ones this year!

-Tim

Post subject: Re: Shane's Dad
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OLD SCHOOL 18 wrote:
P.S. I'm driving to Santa Cruz to get my own Tiger in two weeks. And Shane's getting an older 16 to race with his new crew Dylan Heacock, also 14 years old.

Watch out! Here they come...

Congrats on the Tiger - I am assuming you found a good used one? Sounds like the Tiger fleet is really growing; it should go from match-racing to a real fleet soon!

So are Shane and Dylan racing the 16 this year? Do they make minimum weight (I have no idea what a 14-year-old weighs, I was a bean-pole at 14 and probably didn't top 110lbs)? The more boats the better, especially in the lower fleets - Monica and I have been pretty solid in B-fleet but don't really have a chance in A-fleet yet, hopefully we'll get a lot more practice this year (plus we've been working on tightening up the boat a lot which should help as well). We lost 1st in B-fleet at Westport last year to Tim Webb by a tie-breaker point only!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tim,
The 101 is at Sail Sand Point and we are trying to make a fun sail/regatta out of Sunday. Hopefully we can turn this into a two-dayer.

With SSP facility there we should be, I hope, able to put together some informal sailing around the bouys.