Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Class Representatives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, this is what I think: I think that every class in the association needs to have a 'Commodore', a person that organizes, informs and build excitement up and support for, their class. This subject has been ballyhooed (I don't know if that is a word or not) around for a while, but it is time to act.
Rob Jerry has taken the volunteer position for the Tiger fleet. That leaves the
14, 16, 17, 18, 20 and Wave.
I am really looking for a volunteers, that will WORK to get their classes organized and fired up. Good communication skills a MUST. Of course, the volunteer need to be generally accepted by the masses.
I would really like to hear some names tossed out there so we can get this in place and published before year end.
For instance, someone told me the Paul Evenden would make a great Class Commodore for the 18s. Let's see where this goes. I like Ryan Richardson for the 14s (but thats because I know him and his love of the 14 events)
Lets do this.
cw
[email protected]

Post subject: will you come?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HAVAMEGA at Lk Havasu will be a different kind of event, including all classes in both North American Championships and HCA Points regatta formats. If you think you will come, go on havamega.com and post to the RSVP page. It will help us plan for the attendance and make the party that much better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with you that a Class Representative is a great way to motivate the troops. Peter Nelson from Div4 energized the Hobie 16 skippers to attend more regattas, upgrade their boats, give courses and inspiration to be a H16 sailor. Peter gave a "class act" to the class. It was very apparent that participation was swayed by his interaction.
Recently in 2007, Don Atchley in Div4 started to energize the fleet with Gerry V, and Mike H. With more access to communication tools, he really delivered the punch to build the Div4 Tiger fleet from 4 to 17 boats. Don covered every angle and got the results.
I believe this can work on a national level for National Events. Maybe it requires and eastern and western Leader in each class to work there respective regions. They could also share ideas on what works and tricks to use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
That leaves the
14, 16, 17, 18, 20 and Wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Holy crap Karl, it pretty much goes with out saying, that you get to be commordore of your one boat fleet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, I forgot to answer the first question. Lets take baby steps and just get someone to be the 'person to contact' for each fleet and then spread it out from there. I am serious, this will be a good thing, especially if we don't think it to death. Just pick a guy you like, who has good communicaiton skills and is willing to do a little cheerleading for their respective boat class, get me their name after more than a few of you agree to a person, I'll ask them if they want do do it and we'll be off. We can make up rules later.
You gotta look at it this way, if a 17 guy emails all the 17 guys about whatever is important at the moment, there is alot more communication going on between them and hopefully more involvement, and eventually MORE GROWTH. I just don't think it needs to be any more than that.
Any more ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D Recommend Matt Bounds for H-17. We already have an informal network, Matt has the Email list.
Caleb Tarleton
H-17 6446

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Actually, I just scammed the e-mail list from somebody else on the east coast - I think it was Bill Kast.

As much as I would like to be the cheerleader for the Hobie 17, THE BEST BOAT HOBIE'S EVER BUILT, I just have too much on my plate right now to do a decent job with it.

See you in St. Pete this weekend, Caleb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
As much as I would like to be the cheerleader for the Hobie 17, THE BEST BOAT HOBIE'S EVER BUILT, I just have too much on my plate right now to do a decent job with it.

Item # 1. The Hobie 18 is the Finest most versatile Catamaran ever concieved, designed, engineered, and built. BY ANYONE ! ! ! :D

Now that Matt and I have jumped up and down off of one of our respective soapboxes :D

The whole idea behind Fleet Captains, or whatever we eventually end up calling them is not to add responsibility to current people already involved at National level. more to bring another layer to the onion of National Leadership, and give individual fleets a single point of contact to faculitate the flow of information within the fleet as well as up and down the leadership "chain of command"
Give Each Fleet a single voice that can speak to the HCA Chair as well as the entire board, with a fair degree of authority with regards fleet issues.

Someone that is the go to guy if you as a individual sailor have an issue that you think should be adressed at the national level, someone to be rumor control, rumor central, or the rumor spreader.

Someone to be a clearing house for fleet specific information, boats for sale, parts needed, new ideas, tuning tips for new sailors, or who to ask for tuning tips/whatever in a particular area.

The only real requirements are enthusiasm for the particular boat you sail or one of the boats you sail, the ability to use the internet in order to strengthen the class across the entire nation without having to leave the comfort of your own bubble.

Lastly, someone to beat the drum, build enthusiasm, get more boats on the starting line.

National and Divisional Leadership can only do so much, and some fleet specific leadership will have a significant positive impact that should be VERY Apparent over the course of time.

LOOK at what Chris accomplished with the 14 fleet in Iowa.

I'd like to add Harry Murphy's name and second the nomination of Paul Evendon for the 18 Fleet Representative, and suggest Danny Ward or Paul Garlick for the 17 Fleet Rep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
Holy crap Karl, it pretty much goes with out saying, that you get to be commordore of your one boat fleet.

You're an ass :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
xanderwess wrote:

You're an ass :D

Can we nominate him to be the commodore of the "Ass Fleet" ? :lol: :D :P

Not to coufused with the "NICE Ass" fleet ... i had someone else in mind for THAT position. Honetly, that should be a hotly contested position, and I wanna be a "Judge" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I hate to pat Stephen on the back, but his articulation of what exactly we're looking for truly hit the nail on the head.

Any suggestions for 20? What about 16? This should be lively.
Ass Fleet?

Last edited by xanderwess on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
Wow, I hate to pat Cooley on the back, but his articulation of what exactly we're looking for truly hit the nail on the head.

Any suggestions for 20? What about 16? This should be lively.
Ass Fleet?

A natural for the 20 would be Phil AND Beverly Collins, but I'm not sure anyone can twist his arm that hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heather? Bobby Edmonds? Scott Mathia?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MUST5429 wrote:
MBounds wrote:

Matt, sorry you can not take this on, but you do have more than your share right now. Will see you at the AGM in St. Pete later this week. Hope we have a good turn out for the Multihull Council meeting, Sat. 1PM to 3PM.
Also, all are welcome to attend the Youth Multihull Champ. Meeting, noon to 1PM with Johnny Lovell in charge.

Recommend Paul Evenden for H-18. Paul has been a strong leader for the class, has attended all the recent H-18 NA's, plus Chaired two Hobie Cat NA's.

Caleb