Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2010 hobie 16 N.A's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Someone suggested SALT LAKE CITY .. there isn't any wind and the society is lame.. Bear lake in northern Utah is worth a consideration. the winds are more consistent, the water is a gorgeous Caribbean blue and there are large sand beaches.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

How's the level on Bear Lake these days?

The '92 16 Nationals were there and the lake level was way down. We stayed in the "beachside" resort condos, but had to walk a long way to get the beach. Good racing, though.

It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just from an attendance standpoint wouldn't you want it in the middle of the continent somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think she is from Utah.

"Work Hard, Play Hard, Respect People & Love your Family"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is Salt Lake City dry? I've been in a few Mormon communities in Idaho and had a tough time finding booze.

I would think that has potential disasster written all over it for those who don't BYOB.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeez Todd. Everyone knows that chick is from Montana.....

Okay, here is what I know and what I will tell you (and there are things I WONT tell you until later on)
but, San Diego was a BAD rumor and not a consideration. There are 3 good potential places for the 16s (and maybe paired with another class TBA) that should come to fruition over the next month or so.
In light of this, we should concentrate on HavaMega and let the guys crunching the numbers on these potential bids do their thing.
If you look, HavaMega has a bigass bunch of 18s and Tigers and the 20 class is about 1/2 of what it should be for this. 17s are stepping up nicely too. As far as the West coast 16 event, there will be a large fleet to be sure.
So, be patient.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Texhoma was indeed an excellent venue for the 18/20 NAC's but if you will recall it was held sometime in September.
The F-18 North American's were held off of East Beach in Galveston during the month of October and they had a week of OUTSTANDING conditions. I was on the gate boat and it was an exciting place to be each and every day.
Once again, pay attention to WHEN the event was held.
June/July?August in northeast Texas is a wind disaster. The high pressure systems set up, the winds stay aloft, and they go for DAYS without decent wind.
Spring and Fall are a different story.
I know this is a discussion about where to hold the H-16 event, but speaking for myself, I would love to see another Hobie 18 combined event in that area of the country, but NOT during the summer months.
No matter where you decide to hold an event, you are always at the mercy of the "wind gods", but no need to stack the deck in favor of poor conditions.

Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

and that woman would look even better on a Hobie Cat ! ! ! :D :) :lol: :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

While there is no bid in for the 2010 H16 NAC's, it is definitely time to make a decision about preparing a bid. The talk about a central location in the states does not necessarily work in favor of class promotion, and having this event at locations that have had it many times before deprives other regions the chance to promote the class in a very visible way. I believe strongly we need new championship venues in proven sailing grounds that have sufficiently strong infrastructure, experienced HCA membership with desire and that have not been considered or even asked in the past. While I respect and admire the Northeast 16 sailors for having first class NAC's, we must not deny that they have had an inordinately high amount of events there the past few years. The points about summer months for the 16's, particularly favoring youth is very pursuasive. While we're having a November NAC's at Lake Havasu, unfortunately we will likely never be able to do an H16 NAC because of the youth consideration. I hope we hear very soon from some new people that will bring a fresh place into view for 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quite the quandary eh? I've thought a 16 Youth, 16 Women's and 14 event, summer event, would be a good option. The Dads sail 14. Three or four days. Leaves more, and possibly better, wind/venue options for the Open by not tying it to the summer months.

Wouldn't work in 2010, 14's are set, maybe 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just an FYI, I believe the Women H16 NAC is going in the direction of every other year, rather than annually. I think 2010 will be the first year off for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm really glad you guys have enjoyed the image of Jim Sohn's new crew...but to get back to H16 NAC locations:

Gordo; I understand your point, however, the N.E. brings a lot a lot a lot of boats...therefore they certainly deserve more events than an area with only a few boats. In addition, they typically put on an extremely well organized and well attended event from outside their area.

I spoke with Fluffy at Kingston and she metioned a concept similar to what I expressed when running for the M.E. coordinator. We should look at HCA as a clock and identify regions like 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, & 9:00. ie: Minnesota would be 12:00 and the N.E. would be 3:00. Then each bid should be reviewed with priority given to the next closest region. If the N.E. just had an event...ie: Kingston; they would be the last region considered. In today's world, Iowa would be before the N.E. but after the South or West Regions. This encourages the events to rotate but doesn't mandate a region. I can't speak for Bridget; but she is VERY much aware that these events need to move to various regions and I have all the confidence in the world she is doing her best to get bids from new regions. It could just prove that adequate bids are hard to come by and it might end up in the same region two years in a row....but I don't think that would be by design.

I get an email blast from Galveston. They are aggressively trying to get tourists back to the island. There are some EXCEPTIONAL hotels with a great variety of price points all facing the Gulf. BUT: Hurricanes hit in the Fall and that's why I think we should consider early August or Late July. Plus there are a lot of HCA members who are teachers and can't attend an N.A.C. in the fall or spring....my wife would be one of them.

As for Havasu....I just can't decide what to do....should I sail and if so what should I sail? Or should I just fly into L.V. and help Gordo...which would allow much more energy for partying at night...something I tend to enjoy! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great post Todd, and I do understand the Northeast's ability to put up great events and certainly this year's event is no exception. Great turnout and great time I'm sure. I was jealous as h. e. double hockey sticks that economic times made it impossible to go. As you may have been able to devine from my comment, I'm anxious to see some new venues, and have talked to a number of capable folks. Any area that can step up with a new venue with infrastructure, and a team to put on the event should do so, but I do understand the commitment is substantial. I like the weighted approach you've described. Can't say that I've ever heard this before. Really appreciate your input.

Anyway, please come and sail. If we come up short on help, we'll give you lots of notice, but things seem to be falling into place. Still a lot of work left, but we're over the hump. This is largely due to our many great veteran hobie friends who've stepped up, as well as a lot of enthusiasm in the community of Lake Havasu City.

Hey everybody, check out the August issue of 'Sailing' magazine. Cover story! and centerfold inside!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think in general, most of us would like the same thing. New places to sail at that are typically 'vacation style' destinations. Actually, I'm not sure how 'strong' a Hobie Fleet is really needed. For instance: Lets say you could bring in 50 boats (which is a good number with either a single 16 or a multi fleet 20, 18, & 17 N.A.C.) Entry Fee is $400. That's $20K plus any sponsorship which might be arranged. You go to the local yacht club and you offer $5K to put together a team of 20 R.C. with the Hobie Class Association ponnying up the money for the PRO's travel and lodging expenses (This is something I STRONGLY believe should be discussed by our board). With the remaining $$; you budget whatever dinner, parties, trophies, and shirts and you have an event. Organizational help can be solicited by the M.E. Coordinator.....I think an offer of a plane ticket OR hotel lodging will go a long way to get some people from the Not-Racing Class to volunteer....might only take free BEER! :mrgreen:

It's great we have this forum to think out such scenarios. Hopefully some of our ideas will help Bridget discover new venues. I know she's working hard and loves to hear the input from all! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Instead of Galveston, I think Port Aransas would be better. Better wind than Galveston. Could be held on the ocean or Corpus Christi bay. Great little town on the beach. Great fishing too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next