Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My kids are old enough now that Mom and Dad can do a little more racing than what we have done in the past 10 years.

Although the dates don't work out for us this year, I would like to sail in a mid-winters regatta (next year I hope), escape the snow, and get a jump on the season.

My kids range in age from 14 to 4 (there are four of them). I assume for the most part , eventhough all the venues vary, that there would be beach space for the kids to play while Mom and Dad are racing? Or, better yet, if sitting is available we could stack a couple of 16's and let the older ones race in C fleet or a youth fleet.

Any advice from folks who have brought their kids to major events?

Also, the racing will be of a higher caliber than just our club races, any comments, advice, experiences that I could use in planning this adventure?

Thanks,

John

Post subject: MWE 2004
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took my family to Mid Winters East LAST March, my 12 and 13 year old raced in the Youth 16 group and I sailed 14. Where it was then, there was endless beach, so my 5 year old and wife and mother in law (yes, I took my mother in law to Florida for 4 days) had plenty of places to lay out and enjoy the beach. Being from Iowa, the white sand beaches of North Florida were a real treat.
The racing was good, my kids has some good competetion and my friend who met us there on the 16 got the crap kicked out of him and he's typically middle of the pack A fleet back home.
I ended up with a bunch of 14 sailors who were better than I would have EVER expected, so I was lucky to get last. I actually had a few finishes in the middle of the pack so the week was not a total loss for me. It was nice down there, and we stayed at the Hampton Inn in Pensacola. Kind of a resort, with swim up bar and all that. Really nice. The one this year is in Mississippi and I wish I could go. Maybe next year.
Good luck, but you must stack the boats and take your kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

This year will be something like my 10th MidWinter's East. Every one of them has their own story - at least one of them got published in the Hobie HOTLINE. I even got to do a MidWinter's West in '98, courtesy of Bruce (Wrinklie) Fields. Wrinklie let me drive his 20 while he worked the front of the boat.

The first MWE was in 1987(?). Tina Kuchenbach's ex-husband, John Mitchell (they were still married at the time), crewed for me. The two fat guys from Michigan got the crap beat out of them that year. We drove 20 hours each way to get rained on the whole time.

But I kept coming back - again and again. Eventually won the 16's in '93. Won the 17's a couple of times. Like I said, each one has it's own story to go along with it - from the road adventures to the parties to the racing.

This year will be different - I've never sailed in Mississippi before. I have no idea what the site is like. Kirk Newkirk has already promised to kick my ass. But I stole his crew! :twisted: We'll see who comes out on top in April!

Too bad you can't make it, John. Nobody's claimed the upper rack on my trailer - yet. I'm leaving Thursday afternoon and coming back Monday (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

Sounds like two big thumbs up for the experience. I'll plan on stacking a couple of 16's next year, getting my ass kicked, and making a memory.

Matt you will have to show me your upper rack (on your TRAILER!). :lol: . Hopefully I will be able to fabricate something.

Wow, taking the mother in law to Florida with you. I'm impressed. Come up to Austin Lake this year and I'll buy you a beer or twelve.

Thanks,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Actually, John, you don't need an upper rack if you're hauling two 16's.

Take a couple of 8'6" 2x4's and lay them across the tramp frame. The upper boat will ride just fine on the lower boat. Use 4 tie downs from the upper boat's pylons to the lower boat's pylons.

That's how I got the boat that Jim Perkins used from New York to Austin Lake and back to New York last summer.

Check out the photo below (from the Angola, NY regatta last year) -

The two top boats in that triple stack are done that way.

It's more important that your trailer be rated for at least 1000 lbs to handle a second boat on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,

That looks easy enough. I'll double check the trailer rating. It's a cooper trailer bought around 93. It is the heavier of the two models that was produced at that time.

Thanks,

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a stacker built (pretty simple iron frame, I have NO idea how to get you a picture), but I think I loaded them on thebeachcats.com under the trailer section of pictures. We stacked 16 on 16 for a while with 4x4 wood and wrapping them up to not damage the boats. I have a friend who is a welder and he made the frame for me. Works really well with the 14s or the 16s.

Matt, did I tell you that I bought Joe Kuchenbachs hobie 20? I got it in the fall, drooled over it for a week and put it in a shed. Can't wait to sail it and hope I am half a successful and he was on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:16 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I knew about it - just hadn't said anything about it.

John Mitchell was my best friend in college. He and Tina were high school sweethearts from Muskegon, MI who got married in '85 - the same weekend I moved back to MI from Maine. I take full responsibility for getting them both hooked on Hobie racing.

When they broke up, Tina was kinda adopted by the Austin Lake Hobie Fleet. She ended up marrying Joe K. as a result. I usually stay at their place when I do the Austin Lake regatta now. They live two doors down from Lori and Jerry Mohney - right on the lake.

Meanwhile, John has dropped off the face of the earth. I haven't heard from him in at least four years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt In your Picture you have your rudders installed. Do you pull your boat this way? I have always stowed mine under or on the trampoline.
I thought it was a good Idea to remove them.

Todd

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:40 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Those aren't my boats :D

The triple stack belongs to Karl Ashley, who brings his two teenage boys with him to regattas - and they all race.

I pull the pins, remove the tiller crossbar (I have the H-20 style connectors, so it takes all of 2 seconds) and stash the rudders in the sailbox.

Trailering with the rudders on (especially the distances that I go) just wears down the pins and gudgeons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
[mg]http://www.crabbe.ca/Sail04/kenobie/sun/DSC_1798.JPG[/img]

:shock: I WANT.

Post subject: OSYC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For those of you that make it to this year's MWE, I think you'll enjoy OSYC. In addition to its own beachfront, it is next to a huge public beach. You can get a good idea of what it's like by checking out the Slip To Ship video at:

http://www.osyc.com/

The club is in a large bay, and the whole MS coast is protected by barrier islands (7-10 miles out), so it's nothing like being gulf front in the FL panhandle. The slope off the beach is very mild, and the water/sand aren't nearly as pretty as the emerald coast. However, it's a great place to sail, and it's full of fun, friendly people. I'm three hours north and take my family down there a few times a year. My 11 and 14 year old children really enjoy the beach and the pool.

I'll be glad to try to answer any questions, and I look forward to meeting some of y'all next month. I have not yet met in person any of you who have to wait for ice to melt for spring sailing...I can't even imagine that. Hell, I'm getting sick of the winters here (Lat. 32.3 N)!

Jerome Vaughan
Clinton (Metro-Jackson Area), Mississippi

Post subject: MWE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A hearty "if you get the chance GO to a Mid-winters!!"

I went to my 1st one in 1981 with Kendog Stackhouse. 300 Boats on Clearwater Beach. Over 50 in A-Fleet. Have been to 10+ since.
-Davis Island YC
-P'cola
-I would live to get to Mississppi for this year but alas......

The Mid winter Regatta is on a big comeback as a must go. Attendance is going back up and the regattas just seem to get more and more fun each time you go.

I also have a pic of a triple Tiger stack I'll try to upload.[/img]