Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone coming to Texoma?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's my situation...I've not sailed a Hobie in about 14-15 years. The last one I had was a 16, and the one before that was a 14. I'm contemplating a retirement from racing motorcycles, and need an outlet for my competitive drive and the "need for speed". I think racing catamarans would be fun, but my only experience racing is crewing on monohulls in the late 80's. The guys I crewed for used me for ballast and muscles, so I never learned any racing rules and tactics. I want a catamaran because they're faster and more fun than a monohull.

Here's the problem...the wife has stated on teh occasions that I've brought the subject up that she doesn't want a catamaran. She's never been out on one, and her sailing experience is limited to a couple of days worth of lessons two years ago. She liked the monohulls (well, maybe not the Sunfish), but is afraid of capsizing on a cat. We also have a 4-year-old that loves the water.

I need to convince the wife that catamarans are safe enough for us to sail together as a family. I think the best way to do that would be to get her out on a boat and let her experience the thrill of sailing on a cat. If anyone is going to be at the upcoming races at Texoma, I could sure use your help!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You could always get a new wife! Just kidding. I should be at Mid-America's in June... We'll take her for a spin, then you take her shopping for your boat... Mike

Post subject: Hobie Racing
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take her for a spin on someone elses boat. Let her enjoy the stability of a catamaran. :)
When I met my wife she didn't know what a Hobie Cat was. Now she will sail and crew for me at some low key races, and yes she even yells at me while I skipper. :roll: I started my kids out just sailing and now as they get older they also crew for me as well. Or get a single handed boat and take her along on hte regattas and she can go shopping in exotic locations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Find an 18 with wings. Of all the boats my wife has sailed on, the 18 with wings is the ONLY one she liked. Not the 14, 16 20 or my C-Scow.

There is a lot to be said for sitting down while sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:10 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Geez, Chris - I sit on the boat all the time.

Just like Wally and Tyler:

You mean your wife doesn't like sailing like this?

(photo from last weekend at MadCatter in Syracuse)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aaaahhhh yyeessssss......that is great!!!! I love that, she doesn't. You know what I mean by 'sitting down' too. Upright, so she doesn't spill her glass of wine. That is her idea of sailing. Mine is more like that picture. What a great shot BTW.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I concur, excellent photo. 8)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hullraiser wrote:
You could always get a new wife! Just kidding. I should be at Mid-America's in June... We'll take her for a spin, then you take her shopping for your boat... Mike

is that an offer to trade? :lol: Seriously, thanks for the offer, and I'll try to look you up...what boat do I loook for?