Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Faster boat??
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, what boat is faster around the course, assuming the same skill level sailing team:
Hobie 20
or
Hobie Tiger

:?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

To properly answer that question, you would have to indicate wether or not you would be at the helm.. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At Cowtown Cats there was a Tiger up with the H20s (raced in the same group.) I can't recall exactly how they compared in the final count, but it seemed like he was with them all the time. I was paying more attention to my own performance, so take that with whatever grain of salt you feel appropriate. ;)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, I can feel the sarcasm 2000 mile away.
Just to clarify, ASSUMING the skipper/crew were of the same skill level, be it good sailors, or some all the way down to my skill level.

Your a funny guy Reaper.

Post subject: Tiger or 20?
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Tiger "all day" according to our in-house Team.

Handicap numbers reflect that as well. Add a spinnaker to the 20 and you may change that. The Tiger is excellent upwind against the 20 as well.

Take a look at the Portsmouth handicap ratings for a boat for boat comparison of all cats. Lower the number... faster the cat.

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/tab ... es05mh.htm

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt, thats what I was looking for. We have had some friendly competion between a 20 and Tiger, and yes Dan, I was sailing the 20, and just wanted to know how it was supposed to go. The Tiger was behind up wind, but rang the school bell down wind with the spin.
Thanks for the information.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK, seriously, Chris...

In the few races I've been in with a Hobie 20 and Tiger/F18s, it looks like the 20 is faster upsind and the Tiger/F18 is faster downwind with the Tiger/F18 being faster over all. It also seems like the tiger does better in heavier wind, but the 20 smokes in light wind. I've been on both boats and I feel that the 20 is overpowered while the Tiger is just right and REALLY controllable downwind.

I meant to contact you about that 14 main--I don't have any spares right now, and I'm growing my fleet. I need to go to the 14 forum to gloat about the one I just picked up..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did I send you a pic of my new 14??

Post subject: Tiger / 20
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:24 am 
Site Admin

My factory team (Greg and Jacques) concur that lighter air favors the 20 upwind, but they are nearly equal in more wind... upwind.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed a 20 against Tigers for a couple of years before I got the Tiger, Greg and Jacques among them. I saw a slight advantage going to weather, but barely. I remember a race that a Fox, Steve Myrter with a Turbo rig, was first, then us on an H20. Right behind about a boat length was the third boat a Tiger and followed closely by two more. The wind was blowing about 12MPH. Going downwind they were all gone. I could not even touch them downwind. On the Portsmouth ratings I think the Hobie 20 is at a real disadvantage. The H20 has not change ratings and about the time I got on the Tiger their rating was changed to the worst. If you want to Portsmouth and the wind blows more than 10 get a Hobie 16. I sailed a 16 in a Portsmouth Race and was in first after the first day, but then the boat broke. I was not even close to the Tigers and the I20 at the finish and corrected out okay.

Later,
Dan

Post subject: Got It Together!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chris,

Sounds like you got the 20 together. How do you like the boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Joe! Hows it going?? Love the boat......what a great personality she has. Still working on boat handling, tough to foot when I am used to going upwind on a 14, but we're getting it.

They say if she is humming, I am doing it right, would you say that is accurate?
I'll contact you off list sometime to ask a few questions about the rigging.
Adios
cw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How can this be? I seem to remember a new years day race in San Diego when I passed a tiger with a 20, broke a wire dogbone, fell in, managed to scramble back on board, passed the same tiger again, had to duck a large tourist boat, and then passed the tiger once again before the finish all the while traveling down and downhauling like crazy. My twelve year old crew hiked the whole time, but did not trap after I fell off the boat. The tiger was double trap and with me trapping on the 20 it is kind of a two for one these days. :) The skipper of the tiger had previously finished 4th at the nationals on a 20 so I guess he is the better skipper, but he sure couldn't get the Tiger to go up wind that day.

By the way, a few Tigers did beat me boat for boat , Scott Miller being one of them. The Tiger should be the faster boat around the course, most of this on the run, but upwind it is still a good race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

(Mike) Hammond:

I think they are talking about sailing a Hobie 20 stock and not with a spinnaker the size of a small state. I think that most will agree that the 20 has a bit of advantage to weather. They do not normally have a spinnaker for the downwind.

the guy he beat

Post subject: Tiger vs. 20
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The reason I asked this in the first place is that we have what would be termed an 'unfair' raceing situation on our lake in that the Yacht Club gives the 'Hobies' one start (there are seperate starts for 6 fleets total) but they lump us together, 16s, 18s, 14 a Tiger a 17 and my 20. So I am new to this 20 this year, coming off a 16 for the most part and a 14 whenever I can. Our crew weight is 315lbs and we're making the boat move pretty well, BUT there are some REALLY good 16 drivers in our group, and last weekend we finished just behind 2 of them. Yes, I was feeling pretty blue, but these are brand new boats with top of the Div. A fleet sailors on them.
As far as the Tiger goes, the Skipper on that boat is a very technical sailor, and getting good on it. Upwind, I have beat them a few times, my lack of experience and my crews unfamiliarity of the boat is mostly to blame, but when we're close, up wind, in 15 or better, we are faster. Downwind is Bulls###. They are gone. So I would agree with all the assessments given thus far and thanks for all the help.