Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, we can move on from the comp tip thing and I won't own a Tiger for at least five years (see Comp Tip for Racing).

I'm learning I may be dissapointed when I go race the new (to us) 18. That is, with the 16, in the 1980's, there were always three fleets and as many as 35 boat starts. We eventually want a Miracle 20 (have crewed on one twice when it was the only 20 around, I think '92 or '93?). Am saying this only because, hearing it is typical in our area to run 18's and 20's in the same start. Seems as though I recall an 18 can be relatively competitve against a 20, upwind.

In the brief time we've owned this Magnum, we've played cat & mouse with an 18SX and an Inter17 at our lake. I've got somewhat of a guage as to how "fast" we are.

What typically happens at the Open regattas? Is eveyone racing handicap based on their rating? I think there's some going on in Wichita and OKC area. Am I a traitor for asking these questions in the Hobie Community?

Please don't tell me "If you want a bigger fleet, go buy yourself a 16". Like I say, the 18's a step towards the 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last Hobie race I was at only had 4 H16s, maybe 5 H17s, 8 H18s, one Tiger, and about 15 H20s. The H20s were the only boats with their own start. (Well, the Tiger raced with them.)

For whatever that's worth. ;)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the 18, For as long as I can rememeber the 18 Magnum was my dream boat! In fact I was considering buying one brand new as my next boat, until I found out they where disconntinues (Which was a real bummer).

After thinking about everything long and hard I ended up buying a brand new 16. I have been to 3 regatta's so far, and all of them had a pretty good turn out.. Still 2 more to go for the year Santa Barbara Wine and Roses (Open), and te San Diego Classic (Points).

I opted not to buy a used 18 or other boat for several reasons.

1) There is not a large fleet of 18s in that I have seen in the SoCal races (1 or 2 at a regatta).
2) I really really wanted a brand new boat
3) Didn't want to buy a boat no longer in production (regardless of how well the company said they would continue to support it)
4) Being out of racing for so long, I wanted to get back into the swing of things with a easier boat.
5) The Hobie Tiger/Fx One/H20 do not look like they will tolerate being abused on the beach as muc as a 16/18. Half of my sailing is just for fun.

However I am very open to buying a different type of Hobie in 4 years when my loan is paid off.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Eaton, could you please contact me off list [email protected]
I was hoping to talk to you about your 18
cw