Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Join us on New Year's Day in San Diego. Look on San Diego Yacht Clubs site for the sign up and notice of race. Open Class, Portsmith rated.

Launch at Shelter Island and hope there is enough wind early to fight the tide on the way down to the start. If not, have a tow line and hitch a tow from a passing large monohull. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will be there, single handing my 16 again this year!

Are you going to tripple trap again this year?

You are right about getting to the start. I was the last out of the ramp last year and would not have made the start if they had not postponed it. Kinda sucks when there is only one race!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bphendri12 wrote:
Are you going to tripple trap again this year?

Don't do it Mike!!!

You may break another rudder! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I am going to do it again. Three on the wire, if it blows over 15 kts or so.

I don't think I will be breaking any rudders, Matt Miller is on vacation and not on the boat. When I broke the last rudder, we felt/heard a pop and Matt kind of looked at me and said," that was wierd!" Then a big crunch and the rudder folded under the boat. We were both on the wire, moving fast and there was a rental boat not too far upwind so I jammed the tiller and rounded the boat up to avoid hitting the sitting duck rental boat. Both Matt and I were in the drink, but we didn't capsize the boat onto the two of us. Matt was just cracken up and saying "what are you doing?" I pointed out the broken rudder and he just kept laughing and said "you know that is not covered?" Hence, I now have EPO2 rudders.

This year my crew weigh in at 60 and 75 pounds each. Almost one full crew together. Michelle will take the tiller as I set the chute, then we will just have to see how well the girls can hang onto the spinnaker sheet. It may be a bit much, even with double ratchet blocks. Time will tell.

I just bought the girls new 3/2 wetsuits because just rigging on the beach today was a little cold in the wind. I have rigged a new Hobie Tiger spinnaker with the new soft launch system that Chip at Point Sails wanted me to try. After a few small tweaks it works really well on the beach. It's light, inexpensive, and may save some sail wear. I will let you know how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK,
I sailed it, I triple trapped it, I ran the spinnaker (poorly), came in nearly last, and had a great time. The race was won by some unknown guy on a Hobie Tiger, says he is from the LA area, never seen him before though. :) Actually, the race was won by Dan Delave. He was packed and at SDYC before I even saw the finish line.

The new spinnaker worked well (even if I didn't). The new soft launcher worked well too. The few times the spinnaker really hooked up the boat felt like it was jumping out of the water, but then it would really drop off and I couldn't find the groove again. I think the halyard slipped, and I was not sailing the boat hot enough, but the race was lost on the start and first leg for me. It was blowing nice, but until the last leg, from the bridge to the finish, I couldn't get the boat to move for anything. The last leg however was great fun. Three on the wire and thinking of traveling down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those two featherweights and you on the wire equals two on the wire.

It was an incredible day of sailing even though it was only a bit over an hour for the whole race.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Half true, one of me is equal to two on the wire, so maybe it was more like 2+1/2+1/2=3 :)

Hey, if you want to see really cool photos of the race go to da-woody.com

This is the guy driving around the coarse in the boat that looks like a Woody Car. There are shots of us all going down wind from the clearing mark and then back up from the bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Mike:

I did not know about it

http://www.da-woody.com/07nyd/07nyd6877.JPG