Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last November, at the Hobie 16 Worlds, Race Official Matt Bounds inspected and 'passed' my PFD, and commented that the 'date of manufacture' (as stamped on the certification label) was Dec 2010, which meant that the 'life' of my PFD was nearing its end. (Typically a 10 year lifespan).

So this past weekend, we went shopping. On PFD's made by MEC, Kokotat and Stolquist, all I can find is 'Lot #' or similar. No dates.

When we attend HCANA and similar regatta's, how can we 'prove' that my new PFD is less than 10 years old?

Later today, I will try and do a Google search on the manufacturers' web sites to see if there is any data there.

The Sales Person shared with us that the 'new' standard is for buoyancy of 15 lbs, up from the prior 11 lbs. That data is on the label, but not the date of manufacture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep a copy of the receipt?

Been racing Hobies for over 30 years and have never had anyone question the validity of my life jacket, let alone the date of manufacture. Maybe this is an issue at a worlds event, but I would not be concerned at any other level of competition. I’m also probably not up on the latest requirements, but as far as I was aware, as long as the life vest has a USCG label and no rips or damage, you are good with the USCG, and as long as the vest meets the USCG requirements, you are good to race (at least in the US).

sm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve
That was quick, thank you.

I was (pleasantly) surprised by the "Inspection", as it brought to mind that my PDF is 'old'.
Plus, there are now new standards for PFD's with greater buoyancy requirements.

The retailer tried to log on to find out Date of Manf, without success - I'll try Kokotat and Stolquist.

later

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Also note that the UL certification label in Canada is different from the US even if the product is the same. Manufacturers can not certify a PFD for both US and Canadian use.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the response....and I like it....

Hi Jon,

Thank you for supporting Kokatat Products. We can determine the year of production from the PO/lot number.
If you would like to provide that to us we can give you the date.

Happy Paddling,

Arwen Ellison
Customer Service Representative
Kōkatat, Inc.
5350 Ericson Way

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Just to make it clear, I was acting as a member of the jury at the 16 Worlds. I was inspecting PFDs at registration due to abuses perpetrated at previous worlds.

You would be appalled at some of the "PFDs" presented to me for inspection. A strapping young man of 20 was prepared to wear the junior-sized PFD he wore at the age of 13. Others had tiny PFDs so worn, you couldn't even read the certifications on them. They were obviously too small.

That being said, I don't specifically recall John's PFD inspection. What we did was take the PFD, read the label, make sure it was either USCG or CE certified and make sure the wearer's weight matched the weight range on the label.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the CE 50 newton standard doesn't mean that the PFD has that much buoyancy. In the smaller sizes, they only have 45 newtons. If you're too heavy for the PFD, it doesn't provide enough buoyancy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your point is excellent - be safe!

No piece of equipment lasts forever, so boaters and yachties, keep up to date on your PFD's.

We are so grateful that Club Racing has started again, with social distancing.