Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie's in Key Largo
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are going to be visiting Key Largo from Oregon from November 11th through November 13th. The purpose of the visit is the even wind of the keys and finding a Hobie (18' or so) to play with. All the rental places I've found offer 1-2 hour rentals (not enough!) for very expensive. They also limit where you can go, and there are no trapeze lines for us to harness into. Does anyone have any ideas of where we might try?

Thank you.

Rachel

Post subject: Re: Hobie's in Key Largo
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck finding anything but waves and getaways. I have been trying to find a fast cat to rent near Ft Meyers this March...I am failing.
Where in Oregon are you from?
Let me know if you find anything interesting!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks hobiesrock. We're in Central Oregon... home of small, cold lakes with lots of wind... coming from all directions at once. :-)

We did find one place that rents Hobie 16's, but they are on trailers - we would need a rental car that has a trailer hitch.

Hopefully we'll find something. If anyone else has any ideas, please share!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Contact Hank at Nautical Ventures (Hobie dealer) in Ft Lauderdale, and see if he will tell you who he sells to......or what he recommends...I think you need to hook up with a privateer.

We used to go to Florida (Ft Lauderdale area) twice/three times a year for years, and the only 'reliable' place was Chuck's, at the south end of Delray Beach.

John at Pompano was more of a jet ski guy, and the folks at the south end of Ft Lauderdale did not always have sea worthy equipment.

Further south, another good place is Miami Catamarans, on the causeway off Miami south...he has a lot of Getaways etc. Google is your friend...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

raeraeone wrote:
Thanks hobiesrock. We're in Central Oregon... home of small, cold lakes with lots of wind... coming from all directions at once. :-)

We did find one place that rents Hobie 16's, but they are on trailers - we would need a rental car that has a trailer hitch.

Cool me too! Sail Cultus a lot. There are a bunch of Hobie sailors I have met this summer around here! We have an email list started up to hook up with fellow sailors...pm me if you want in!
Where did you find the 16's on trailers? Thats what I need as I am going to be on Sanibel Island and you cant leave cats on the beach there.