Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It’s been several years since the last HCANA points regatta was held in Division 9 (GA, SC, NC and East TN). We’re overdue, and fortunately, the Lake Norman Yacht Club (LNYC), north of Charlotte, has agreed to host a new event, the Division 9 Hobie 16 Championship, in conjunction with their annual Cat Fest Regatta. I'll post a link here to the Notice of Race as soon as it’s published. We’ll continue discussion in the “Div 9” subsection of “Hobie Racing”. Check out the Lake Norman Yacht Club site, http://www.lakenormanyachtclub.com, for additional information as it’s posted.

Cat Fest is open to all catamarans; however, per the HCANA’s “Yacht Club Points Regatta Policy” a club can sponsor a Hobie points regatta provided that, “Each Hobie Class (i.e. Hobie 16 or Hobie 20) in which ranking points will be awarded must have at least five boats competing, have a separate, one design start and compete using Hobie Class rules.” LNYC has agreed that if five Hobie 16s participate, we’ll get our own start and it’ll be a points regatta. Based on the interest shown so far, a five-boat fleet should easily be attainable and I expect several more. All other Hobie classes are urged to participate in the Cat Fest open fleets. Although only the 16s will be competing for division points, a strong showing at Cat Fest from the other Hobie classes will help develop camaraderie among sailors, grow Hobie Fleets, and help pave the way to expand future points events to include other Hobie classes.

NEWBIES: WE WANT YOU! If you aren’t an experienced sailor/racer, don’t worry about it. We’d love to have you join us. There’s no better way to improve your sailing skills and have fun than by building relationships with other sailors and participating in regattas. The experienced sailors are typically happy to give advice on racing and rigging and are eager to help Newbie’s break into our sport. The success of a regatta trip should be judged by how much fun you had, how much you learned, and the pride you take in those moments when you sailed well. Those memories will shine bright for years to come. There’s more to it than getting a trophy.

As most of you in the Southeast know, Division 9 has languished from an HCANA perspective for several years for various reasons. I’m a recent transplant to this area from Division 14 and wasn’t part of any of the recent history. My focus for Division 9 is building for the future, not dwelling on the past. I believe that LNYC’s hosting of the Division 9 Hobie 16 Championship in conjunction with their Cat Fest regatta is an important first step in improving Hobie participation in Division 9. I hope to build on this event by partnering with other yacht clubs in our division to host additional Hobie events in 2014. I’d also like to encourage members of Division 9 fleets to renew ties with other members, reach out to new sailors, and get out there and go sailing together. If you are a Division 9 sailor or have an interest in Division 9 events, please send an email to me at [email protected]. I’d like to build a roster so I can inform you about regional events. Maybe I’ll show up at your lake or beach one day and want some company to sail with. If you have any questions regarding the Division 9 Hobie 16 Championship, please contact me or the LNYC Cat Fest chairman, Alan Elam, at [email protected].

Mark Van Doren (now you know what "MVD" stands for - not very creative)
Division 9 Chairman

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28