Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi All,

I am proud to announce the 2014 Hobie H18, H20 and Tiger/Wild Cat Championships. We a We are so pumped to put this event on in Ca and we are excited about this venue in the Sierra Mountain Range. Huntington Lake!!

Everyone needs to think long and hard why they wouldn't want to drive to this week long event. We are hoping to have 30+ Hobie 18s on the start line and a big Hobie 20 start as well. Old boats, rebuilt boats, old sailors and young ones. Not to mention a very competitive fleet. We already have multiple entries coming from Australia and Canada.

VERY IMPORTANT!! If you think you might come please book a camp site early Feb. if you plan to camp. This is a high mountain area of CA and it is very popular because of the views and excellent sailing. The good sites book up early. If for some reason you can't come after you book, the site can be canceled or sell it to the latecomers. All condo/cabin and camping info is on the NOR attached. If you call about cabins, ask for Gabby. She if offering a 10% discount to our group.

Check out the NOR and Entry attached. This would be a vacation I promise you would never forget at one of the most famous sailing lakes in Ca!

Please let me know if you have any questions. The entry also went live on the Division 3 site. From there you will be able to fill out the entry and pay by Paypal........or.....just fill in the entry form and mail it and a check. I look forward to meeting many of those I have only related to on the forums and our Google group site.
NOR http://www.hobiefleet259.com/images/NAC_NOR.pdf
Entry (On-line) http://www.hobiefleet259.com/NAC2014.aspx
Entry (Mail in ) http://www.hobiefleet259.com/images/NAC_entry.pdf

Let's go sailing.

Scott Erwin ----------------_/)_----------------H18 H20
Hobie Fleet 259 Commodore
Central Coast California

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi All,

Well it seems we have been dealt a difficult hand this year. I am not sure we can make everyone happy here but we can attempt to do what's best for the fleets and the HCA overall.

As most of you know by now our primary venue hasn't worked out due to a severe water/snow shortage in our mountain ranges. In the past month we have explored alternative venues to replace Huntington. At this time we have determined that there were no viable venues that would support our event in this short notice in Northern California. A combination between permits, cost, timing and water issues prevented other venue opportunities.

The consensus between the HCA and our Regatta organizers is that this event get postponed until 2015. Our new dates are August 3rd-7th 2015 at Huntington Lake. (NEW NOR ATTACHED)

Water in Huntington Lake is brought down to 33% every year in the winter in preparation for the melt the following spring. This was the first year in over 60 years that the lake will not be filled because of a drought. We do not foresee this being an issue next year as we are told we are expecting an El Nino year next year.

The Huntington (Lake Shore Lodge) has agreed to honor reservations for those who have already paid for cabins this year for next year. Others with condo rentals should try to postpone as well rather than loose the deposits. Please let me know if you have problems with reservations you have made at the lake.

Money Collected:
We have received early registrations for approximately 21 boats. Excellent really, and we fully expected about 33+/- H18s and 22+/- H20s and 4 or 5 Spin boats. We will be in contact with everyone who has paid and we will offer to return the collected fees or we will maintain the fees in the regatta account until next years event. (If the cost goes up you will not need to pay more)

As we work to postpone this event, Paul Evenden and Laura Sullivan are considering a suitable venue for an H18 event this year up in Oregon. Stay tuned!! I have communicated my support in helping where I can to facilitate.

On a personal note: Thank You everyone for your patients in working through these issues. It is a privilege working Nationally and even Internationally with sailors and professionals who share the same goals. I am especially proud of Division 3 who is growing/maintaining a strong H20 and H18 Fleets. There is only one reason for this, dedicated passionate people who love sailing these boats and work hard to live the Hobie Way Of Life.

We hope to see you NEXT YEAR AT HUNTINGTON LAKE!

Cheers, (Please forward to those who need this information)

Scott Erwin
Hobie Fleet 259 California Central Coast
Division 3

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So is Mile High also postponed/cancelled?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Roger wrote:
So is Mile High also postponed/cancelled?

Hi Roger,

The NAC event has been postponed until next year. The new dates are August 3-7 2015.

Mile Highs permits have been canceled by the regatta organizers and the Forrest Service. May of us will be trying to sail the Lake in June at the Commodores Regatta to evaluate the venue at current water levels. We will be pulling our own permit. Many of the locals believe an event can take place so we are going to try.

We will see. Beautiful area so ya can't go wrong really.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello all,

With the postponement of the 2014 Hobie 18, 20, Tiger/ wildcat North Americans originally scheduled for Huntington Lake, California, Division 4 has stepped up to the plate to ensure that an event does happen for this year. We have made arrangements for the event to happen during the same date period (August 4-8) with a change of venue to Cascade Locks Oregon. This area is host to some of the best sailing in the US and home to many national and international championship events. With the help of the Columbia Gorge Racing Association, we anticipate a great week of sailing. Follow THIS LINK for information and directions about the Gorge and the area.
I know there have been some concerns regarding the conditions there especially for new or novice sailors and for some of the classes. With this in mind, we have proposed a wind limit of 18-20 knts sustained, to be enforced at the RO's discretion. Our goal is also to start and finish racing before the wind thermals really take off. Safety of the sailors is our major concern here, and we don't want people to damage boats. We are also considering separating the fleets into A and B fleets. The B fleet would race in the more manageable conditions. This would allow the novice sailors to join the 'party' in conditions that are more suited to their skills without degrading the competition for the more experienced sailors.
We are putting a time limit (July 1st) for the H20/ Tiger/ Wildcat classes to have a fleet registered for inclusion in the event. If there is anybody wishing to sail a H18 instead, please contact me about possible charter boats.

The NOR can be downloaded here: 2014 H18 NOR

The link to the Division 4 Webpage for registration is here: 2014 H18 REGISTRATION

I know Scott was hoping to see 25-30 boats on the line for his event, let's see if we can come close to the same and help with the resurgence of the H18 as a competitive racing class.
If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me either through this forum or by personal email: pevenden at telus dot net

We look forward to seeing you there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Early registration is over in 3 weeks.
if you don't want to pay more ($75), register now!
If you want to be guaranteed your size in the swag... register now!
If you want to support your class (H20, H18, Tigers)... Register Now!

Come and join the party.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi everyone... the time is drawing close for the early registrations to end, then it's starts to cost more money! Now, I don't have a problem if it's going to cost you more money, but I would if it were me.

We are now up to 7 H20's and 11 H18's registered. I am aware of 1 or 2 more H20's to register and 4 or 5 H18's to register. Thanks to all who have registered so far, we have some great sponsors on board so far with more to come! (I think there's a beer sponsor in there too!)

If you havn't registered yet, don't wait. I know some of you have replied that you can't make it... we understand.. but your loss! :)

for those who have registered... there are many incomplete registrations.. mostly crew names and HCA numbers. Remember, BOTH SKIPPER AND CREW MUST BE HCA MEMBERS. If you know your crew already, please make sure they are a membership before coming to the event. It makes our job a lot easier and less paperwork for you when you do register. I will be reminding those individuals in a week or so.. it's easy to do, just follow this link..... http://www.hcanamembers.com/

we do have a couple of young lads, excellent sailors, who would like to participate, so if you are looking for able crew... let me know right away!

that's it for now.....

paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks to all who attended!. We had 18 H18's and 9 H20's.. great winds, a couple of evening sails (had to wait for the wind to calm down a bit... ) and one early am sail (have you ever started racing at 8am? I hadn't before!) before the wind picked up! 14 races and close competition. A few torn sails, broken stuff that never breaks and time off to see some of the great sights in the area... Thanks to our hosts, Columbia Gorge Racing Association, all the volunteers, and the sailors who made the trip!

See you next year at Huntington Lake!