Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use to have a pheasant feather wind indicator and am interested in finding another one. I've done some searching online in Murrays, Hobie, West Marine, Defender and some other sites. If you know of someplace that sells them, please let me know.

Thanks.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No kidding- I have a couple beautiful Macaw tail feathers that I used for years on my Catalina 25 from a pet shop. Fly fishing shops sell all manner of feathers too (hackle).

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The pheasant feather is a key component, but I can easily obtain one of them as soon as hunting season opens. More important is the balance of the parts that comprise the apparent wind indicator.

Does anyone remember these old apparent wind indicators. They predated the Telocat models.

Cheers,
Bob

Post subject: Telocat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as I am concerned the Telocat is the only way to go. I put crazy glue on the screw holding the arms on. You just have to baby it a little in storage, but in 6 years it has never failed on thee water.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
"Stress Free" #007

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also highly recommend the Telocat. I have used them exclusively on the bridle of my H18 for the past 15 years. In the last 3 years I lost two of them as a result of some person or the H18 jib furler line catching on them and pulling them out of the holder. The first time, I saw it drop in the water and it sank before the rear crossbar passed over it and I had a chance to grab it. I now use the ringy ding provided with the new models religiously. It's an extra step during setup that I managed to do without for quite a few years, but after replacing two in three years it's worth the time and effort. It's a real bummer when you're racing the downwind legs on a H18 and you don't have the apparent wind indicator on the bridle.

I'm still looking for the pheasant feather apparent wind indicator because the Telocat is sticky and erratic as the air becomes VERY LIGHT, 0-2 mph. I raced against another sailor with the pheasant feather in VERY LIGHT air recently and his feather was more effective than my Telocat. I had my crew light up multiple cigarettes to help us determine the wind direction and this helped. Cigarettes don't last long in VERY LIGHT air while the races stretch on in time.

Cheers,
Bob

Post subject: Feather
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob:

Until you get your feather, use some old cassette tape tied to the bridle. It is about a sensitive as you can get till you find a feather. Shoud help in ligt air.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Going to keep The mark 1 eyeball on this thread. In the same boat; can,t find one. The feather type is excellent as a mast head fly because it shows the wind and the mast direction together i.e. the appearant wind and the angle of attack vs the rotating mast(my downwind weapon). Anything will work on the bridle; the telo-cat types stick straight up from the mast and are not as visable as a feather in front of the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob,

I'll check with my neighbor who owns the fly fishing shop on 87th and let you know if he has anything long enough.

Our hawk feather has seen better days and needs replacement, please let me know if you come across pheasant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John,

Let me know if all you need is the pheasant feather. I know some hunters who will likely bag a number of pheasants this season and I'm reasonably confident I can obtain several feathers.

I need the complete apparent wind indicator. I've searched awhile on google, but I can't find a source for the complete indicator.

Cheers,
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have 3 complete units that can be modified to fit any boat. These were made by Hobie Cat and sell for $12.50 each. Extra feathers are $4.00 each and we have 2 left. Sorry it took so long to see your post. Call 661 3229178 for more info or email [email protected].