Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can anyone tell me whether or not parts are still available for these boats & if so, is there a catalogue & pricelist anywhere ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some parts are available just because they're used on other boats. And there are probably Trifoiler specific parts lingering in the Hobie warehouse.

I've got a spreadsheet that Matt sent me last August. Some parts had a $0.00 price - probably meaning no longer available. Not sure how accurate the list is anymore.

And there is a pdf of the illustrated parts guide.
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/TrifoilerParts.pdf

My advice is to make a list and send it to your local shop.

Brian C

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Brian, tx for your reply.

I have been looking at a boat (a wreck really) which needs a considerable number of parts e.g. Beam End Casting assy; Foil Plate Assy; Starboard Ama (probably); Sensor Arm; Gudgeon(s) and probably a rudder housing; Mast retention ball; Socket Mast retention. These are the obvious parts which are broken for starters... I am sure there'll be more !

What do you think are the chances of being able to source these parts ?

Any chance you could upload/send me the spreadsheet you mentioned ?

There are also some serious-looking stress fractures in the hull in the area of the rudder gudgeon mountings and under the centre beam.

I get the distinct impression from the damage to this particular boat, that these boats are pretty fragile (in relation to the speeds/stresses they can suffer). Is this an accurate assessment ?

Reason I ask is that if I was to acquire this boat it would most definitely be a 'project'; if the parts are not available off the shelf they would have to be fabricated and either way they are gonna be pricey ! And I wonder if, having gone to all the bother and expense, I am going to get any significant time on the water - or is a different component going to fail each and every time I take it out which would make the whole exercise a lesson in frustration ?!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:
Hi Brian, tx for your reply.

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been in Mexico. Have to say that I'm a little surprised that Matt hasn't replied at all to this thread.

Quote:
I have been looking at a boat (a wreck really) which needs a considerable number of parts e.g. Beam End Casting assy; Foil Plate Assy; Starboard Ama (probably); Sensor Arm; Gudgeon(s) and probably a rudder housing; Mast retention ball; Socket Mast retention. These are the obvious parts which are broken for starters... I am sure there'll be more !

What do you think are the chances of being able to source these parts ?

That's a serious list... Odds of finding all the parts is slim. Hobie may still have the mold for the Ama, but maybe not. Even if they do, they may have zero interest in building one. Unfortunately, the Ama I have in the warehouse is port side.

Quote:
Any chance you could upload/send me the spreadsheet you mentioned ?

Don't see why not. Only problem is that I'm at home and the data is at work. I'll try to remember to get it tomorrow when I get back. But since I've been gone a week, I suspect the pile on my desk is quite top heavy. Shoot me an email (dog at mariner-sails.com to remind me).

I'll warn you that my boss has very little interest in being in the Trifoiler parts business

Quote:
There are also some serious-looking stress fractures in the hull in the area of the rudder gudgeon mountings and under the centre beam.

I get the distinct impression from the damage to this particular boat, that these boats are pretty fragile (in relation to the speeds/stresses they can suffer). Is this an accurate assessment ?

I like to compare a Trifoiler to a Ferrari. In the Ferrari, the ride is fantastic. But if you hit a pot hole at speed, you're headed to the shop. The Trifoiler tended to shed parts if you hit something at speed. That was preferable to doing cartwheels. My boss spent a lot of time repairing his.

I can't comment on the stress fractures since I haven't seen the boat.

Quote:
Reason I ask is that if I was to acquire this boat it would most definitely be a 'project'; if the parts are not available off the shelf they would have to be fabricated and either way they are gonna be pricey ! And I wonder if, having gone to all the bother and expense, I am going to get any significant time on the water - or is a different component going to fail each and every time I take it out which would make the whole exercise a lesson in frustration ?!

I guess that depends entirely on the quality of your sailing location. If you are subject to floating debris and large fish breeching the surface, things could get dicey. If you have large swell with only light/moderate wind, getting onto the foils could be tougher.

The Trifoiler really is the epitome of BIG BOY toys. And for such a small hole, it takes a bunch of money to fill.

Brian C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Dog wrote:
Unfortunately, the Ama I have in the warehouse is port side.

Whoops... That port ama is gone.

Brian C

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stobbo wrote:

I have been looking at a boat (a wreck really) which needs a considerable number of parts

stobbo:

I'd like to talk to you about this boat. Could you please drop me a note off-list?

Jonathan
jonathan at canuck dot com