Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo Boom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've read in several posts that the boom is a nice addition to the Bravo, especially for downwind performance. I am 99% sure that I am going to purchase one but wanted to ask a few general questions:

(1) The manual depicts the ease of still furling-in the main but unclipping the outhaul and using the furling line as normal. Does the boom actually drop all of the way to the deck or does the sail help to hold it in a raised position when almost furled? Is this too much strain on the sail?
(2) The boom vang attachment appears to mate with the hull at the front hatch. Is this system strong enough for the high forces on the boom vang?
(3) Regarding the vang, the pull ratio appears to be low. Perhaps this relates to item (2) above - we do not want to pull on the vang anchor too much. How "solid" is this system?

Any other comments regarding this addition? Pluses? Minues?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:38 am 
Site Admin

(1) The boom goes up like a drawbridge when you furl the sail.

(2)The vang attachment at the front hatch area has not shown any negative issues.

(3)Seems to work just fine. No complaints that I have heard.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the feedback! You mention that the boom raises when furled - I never thought about that before but this makes sense as the clew of the sail would essentially be rising as furled..... so this would actually go completely vertical when fully furled? This just makes the design that much better!!

Thanks again!

Post subject: Hobie Boom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One other question: can the sail be reefed at all? How far can it be reefed with the optional boom? Half-way? I assume that we'd have to loosen the vang and that the boom would rise significantly?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boom is a definite must. Makes a huge difference going down wind. You are still able to easily reef the sail (furl). Once you go past a certain point in the reefing / furling process, (I'm guessing around two thirds) the boom begins to rise. You can get it completly vertical if you want. It takes a couple of seconds longer to rig the boat at set up time. I always use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In addition, when rasing or attaching the mast, the angle at which you connect the mast to the mast ball is a little higher so you can clear the vang attachment at the front hatch area. If you come in to low (or more parallel to the deck) it won't initially seat itself completly at the start of the raising and could jump out. If you are aware of this and come in at an angle where there is a solid connection it stays locked in for the raising. Don't be turned off by any of this. The adjsutment from "boomless to booming" is minimal and well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boom is a definite benefit. We bought one with my wife's Bravo and she was using it after just a few sessions (she was a novice sailor). The only change I made was to attach a Harkin micro block to the vang fairlead on the boom (much smoother frictionless action). This was easily done by drilling the head off one of the fairlead rivets, swinging the fairlead out, inserting the block, returning the fairlead and reriveting. Considering the minimal cost of this and for what Hobie charges for the boom (~ $300.00 when we bought it), they should have made it standard. 8)

Post subject: Hobie Boom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for all of the information!!! This is certainly a great forum for Q&A!

Based upon the new information, I have a few quick questions:
(1) Doesn't the boom attachment have a pulley? Is this just a fairlead that the vang line passes through? The addition of a pulley sounds like a great idea. How sound is the other (locking carbo) block?
(2) Although a small point, does the boom come with a bag to keep all of the parts during transport? The mast bag is fantastic for keeping everything together and clean and I am curious about such systems included with the boom (again, not that it is a HUGE deal either way).

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bdg See diagram for how the boom vang is set up by the manufacture. Image
I did not like their vang setup because to use the vang, you have to go way forward to set and release the clamcleat and if you put a micro-block on the farelead that is attached to the boat it gets in the way of the front locker hatch. However, by reversing the vang set-up (and install a micro-block on the boom), you can smoothly adjust the vang from further back in the cockpit. Also with this setup, the vang stays connected to the boom (i.e., your detachment hook is to the boat fairlead instead of the boom) leaving a cleaner boat while trailering or sailing boomless. Also, since the outhaul is a continious loop, you can store the boom easily (as a single unit) by going hook to hook (vang to outhaul) then tighten and cleat the outhaul. And finally, no they do not provide a bag, though the standard sail bag that comes with the Bravo sail works well (we keep the sail rolled on the mast and use the long bag that is made to cover both). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Where are you attaching the Vang to the boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Admin

An metal eye strap is installed on the forward edge of the hatch ring... just below and aft of the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, but my question was meant for fastcat. Where did he attach the fairlead on the boat so it wouldn't get in the way of the front locker hatch. Or did he keep it in the same place with "his" version of the boom vang setup? I am gathering it connects to the boat in the same place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, boat fairlead is in the same place, but you still can use the forward hatch. The main difference is that the single attachment line on my vang setup goes from the camcleat to the boat fairlead (attached via supplied hook) and the 2:1 is between the camcleat and the booms microblock. That way when you do go boomless, the boom and vang are removed as a single unit. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again to the members for information. I've ordered a boom through my local dealer. In thinking about the lifting boom, I am expecting to have to replace my sheet line. This line was just long enough before when the sail was furled and now that the new "clew" will be even higher, I expect that the line will have to be replaced. Is this consistent with other user installations??

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We use the same main sheet as with the boomless set-up. When furling with the boom, you can not furl 100%, but you get pretty darn close. :wink: