Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a [preowned] Bravo and am having trouble with the mast gate.

I raise the mast and close the gate but it doesn't line up with the bolt on the knob. I have to lean into the mast with my shoulder and most of the time I am not able to get the bolt to go into the gate. It is 1/16" to 1/4" off.

Can the gate be bent to line up with the bolt? Will it require heat or ? Could a different gate
be a different shape? Of course I don't want to buy one and have the same problem? Any suggestions? -- Tom

Pictures of my mast, gate and bolt can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40165501@N08/sets/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On mine (new), after raising the mast up to the top, I have to wiggle it just a bit so it will 'seat' properly. Then the gate lines up pretty well with just a bit of force required to line up. Its suppose to be a bit snug.. When taking down the mast, it is seated firmly after the gate is opened and requires a few hand 'taps' from the bow end to free. perhaps your rig is bent aside preventing the mast to seat fully forward? I'm not knowledgeable on this, but is the ball mount height adjustable, if so is it at the proper height? I'm sure those who actually know the answer will chime in. Best luck and fast sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased my Bravo used also and when I raise the mast, the gate/bolt line up almost exactly, don't have to apply any pressure to it. I have 2 questions, but don't know the official names of some of the parts so bear with me.

When the mast is raised and placed against the tube that supports it, how is the fit? Is the tube centered in the slot that runs around the mast? If not, it may be that the ball at the base of the mast is adjusted to high or low.

Second item is also about how the tube (mast support) fits in the indentation/slot around the mast. If there is a gap at the forward portion (directly across from the gate, maybe the tube was pinched or bent. This would keep the mast from fully fitting into the mast support and the gate would be misaligned as your pictures show.

Charlie