I am attaching a few pictures of the "beta"
version. There is no doubt that a nice Aluminum Hobie or Sietech dolly is nicer and very robust, but this is certainly a cost effective solution! In addition, I believe that other dollies offer wider wheels - better for sand - which I did not opt for as I planned to use the dolly on asphalt, concrete or packed dirt.
I originally designed this as a transition from my trailer to the water. I've never really needed it as the ramps that I have gone to allow me good access to the water. The dolly interfaces perfectly with the height of the trailer and allows me to easily transfer it between dolly and trailer. It is, however, useful for freeing-up the trailer for other tasks!
Now showing is the handle - I simply use a piece of 1/2" PVC electrical conduit. Does the job.
The dolly is well balanced with the stern at the handle side of the dolly.
The "front" support simply drops into place, secured by a couple of boards. This could certainly be improved upon. I tie-in in with bungie cords so that it does not float away when submerged in the water!
Other suggestions - a nice coat of paint would help to preserve the wood. The joint of the 2x4 near the handle was a point of concern but has not (yet) failed. I believe that a more robust custom bracket (similar to that cut/welded as described below) would be fun to do and would offer better structural support.
Lastly, I changed the mounting of the back support (with the wheels) so that it can be easily disassembled. I found that the completed assembly was too large and cumbersome for storage; the disassembled unit is easy to store. I used a piece of steel and cut / welded the angles to obtain a nice 90 degree bend.
As contribution to the community, I would welcome improvements offered by the group!