Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bravo vs. Laser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was out a few days ago on my Bravo; a friend was out the same time with their Laser I. It was quite a calm day (wind only blowing 6 kts) and I could not keep up to the Laser. I adjusted my weight towards the middle of the Bravo to try to flatten it out - but then in a gust I noticed that the bow of leeward hull was 6" below water and going deeper --- back towards the stern I went. According to my GPS, my maximum speed was only 12 km/h - I've been "screaming" up to 18 km/h in higher winds!

Before I purchased the Bravo, I asked the dealer to compare the Bravo to the Laser for speed / performance. With a big smile, they indicated that the Bravo was MUCH faster than a Laser. With further research of the PHRF, it seems that the Laser I has a rating of 91.1; the Bravo is not listed but I have seen references to 100.0 on the web (seems like a very round number!) while the Wave is 92.1. As we know, the lower the number, the faster the boat.

The Laser seemed to certainly point higher (a consistent viewpoint on this forum) but I thought that the Bravo might be able to perform a little better on certain points of sail.

While the overwhelming comments of recent threads is that the Bravo is a recreational boat and to (rightly so) just enjoy the ride, it is a little disappointing to be left behind!

Is this performance difference consistent with other Bravo owners? Is it an issue of the boat? The skipper? Perhaps more wind would help?

Looking forward your comments!!

Post subject: Re: Bravo vs. Laser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Need more wind and reaching. Windward/Leeward I have trouble with the Sunfish (which is slower than the laser), but on reachs I get them. Winds 6kts or less, they have me on almost all points of sail. I would say 8 knots+ I start to even out on all points of sail and 10+ kts I usually get them.

Post subject: Re: Bravo vs. Laser
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting! Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned, winds were certainly quite light although there was the occasional gust (as noted when the bow was diving!). I tried everything that I could to gain some speed (even disconnected the boom at one point) but just could not make it happen. The boat has proven to be quick but there is a real "yardstick" when compared with another boat!