Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My intent, this season, is to launch my Bravo off my club hoist. I am know I cannot
attach a bridle anywhere topside, and must instead sling the entire hull. Here is what I
propose to do:

Using at least half-inch nylon rope testing at 1,100 lbs, I intend to bowline loop the hulls
with four lines just forward and aft of the cockpit, and draw the standing parts of the
lines aft and forward, respectively, to a gravitational center above the cockpit deck,
where I will join them to a suitably strong steel ring or snap hook. I will then take the
joined lines to the hoist hook, and make whatever permanent adjustments are necessary
to ensure that the rig centers on the hull so that it remains level with mast stepped as it is
lifted. Once the adjustments are made, the tension on the lines as the boat is lifted will
draw the lines against the fore and aft cross sections of the cockpit so they cannot slip out
to the narrower sections of the hulls.

I imagine this will work without damaging the boat. Do you agree? Have you any
suggestions or warnings?

zerohelm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like it would work, without damage to the boat. Not difficult to install or remove in the water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it would definitely work, great idea.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The one challenge you might have is getting the boat balanced in the harness and maintaining enough clearance between the mast and the Hoist arm/structure. That is because the mast will add weight to the bow of the boat, moving the balance point forward.

I had this problem when using a hoist and a small sailboat. Even when the rudder was on, there wasn't enough weight in the stern to move the balance point back enough to keep the mast away from the hoist. So I put some old weights in a backpack and placed it in the stern. Then When the boat was in the water I would hook the backpack to the hoist hook, so I didn't have to carry them up the ladder on the side of the pier.

For the lines, I would suggest getting low/no stretch lines, and splicing the loops into the ends if possible. This way the harness would be consistent each time you use it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you make your two bow lines shorter than the aft ones, it may have the tendency to balance things out. Just a thought, don't know if it would work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To keep the boat level, the Ring where the Hoist will hook to has to be at the center of balance (forward/aft). Since there is more weight in the bow (from the mast and sail), the center of balance will move forward. Which does mean the harness lines from the bow will have to be shorter than those coming from the stern.

The issue here is the Hoist structure will be very close, if not touching the Mast/sail, which is not a good thing. As the boat is hanging there, the wind will be making it sway and move around. So you have to make sure there is enough clearance between the mast and the hoist structure.

Not impossible to get it setup correctly, just go there when its not busy so you can experiment with different harness setups. Using temporary weights to shift the balance point aft was just a suggestion.

Charlie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all who responded to my recent post on using a four-part hull sling to hoist a Hobie Bravo into the water. I will eliminate the stretch problem by switching from nylon to dacron of appropriate safe load strength, accounting for knots, of course. I have sling hoisted heavier boats than the Bravo that had a lighter stern with the mast in place, so I am aware of the hoist rub potential problem. As suggested, I will do my final adjustment at the hoist when it's not busy, which was always my intent. As a former New England sailor now living in the midwest, I am certain I can find a cool, sunny day in March when I can have the hoist all to myself. Thanks again for the comments.

zerohelm.