Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You definately can't beat the 1/2-1hr quick sail that the Bravo offers. Don't forget to furl the sail in when there is more breeze. Did that last fall a couple of times and it worked great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks so much for the detailed version of your first sail on your new Bravo. I wanted to take my first on Saturday. My brother in law lives on the water, 20 minutes from my house. Took it there but we got into the beer and wine before I had a chance to do the first launch. And, Voila, no sailing yet. You sure make it sound like a great little boat. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I took my first sail today with my Bravo. Sure is different than the Wave. I found the Wave much more relaxing, a much more stable sail. UV factor was very high, lost my hat and had to return to base. I did get about 1 1/2 hours under my belt. I find it very difficult to come about. Good thing I had my little folding paddle. I'm hoping that I get more confident so that I can relax a bit more. Somebody once wrote that the Bravo was like a bucking bronco. Is that so ? I'm too old to be riding Broncos. Oh, Well !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let me know if you want to sell it...I would be interested if you're not satisfied with the Bravo.

Have a good summer!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jp wrote:
Well, I took my first sail today with my Bravo. Sure is different than the Wave. I found the Wave much more relaxing, a much more stable sail. UV factor was very high, lost my hat and had to return to base. I did get about 1 1/2 hours under my belt. I find it very difficult to come about. Good thing I had my little folding paddle. I'm hoping that I get more confident so that I can relax a bit more. Somebody once wrote that the Bravo was like a bucking bronco. Is that so ? I'm too old to be riding Broncos. Oh, Well !

And *I* was thinking the Bravo tacked SO much easier than the Wave.....LOL!! How much wind did you have? My last couple of sails have been in 8 - 10 mph winds; and it tacked smooth as silk. There's sort of a nice radius involved: too short, and the rudder kills the speed; and too large and you'll lose momentum. Find the sweet spot and it tacks like a monohull.

If you feel like you only need ONE little push to get you through the tack, you can always push the tiller back and forth to give you that last boost....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh! I'll get the hang of it. Not ready to sell it just yet. Sure is tempting, Moncton to Moncton.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yesterday, I had the Bravo out with the kids in Little Shemogue. With a reefed sail, it's a bugger to make a tack...I had to jibe each time. Almost lost the boat too...we had it well beached for lunch and we thought it had reached high tide...WRONG. Before we knew it, the boat was headed towards Prince Edward Island in a strong wind with bare poles...not a swim I wanted to do. Just a fluke that there was a powerboat nearby that came to the rescue...very, very lucky to say the least!!! Live & learn....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I do love my Bravo. I owned a Hobie 16 for about 5 years, way back 25 years ago. In my younger days, I could sail it solo, with a trapezee. But was hard to find a crew, and it became a real struggle to right the boat by myself. I usually sail only in strong winds.
Next I bought a used Force 5 mono-hull. I had great fun with this boat for past 10 years (all of which were in retirement). I live on the lakefront on a 1100 acre lake (about 2 mile long and 3/4 mile wide). I also bought a used Hobie 14 for past 8 years. Had much fun with each boat. Then two years ago, I injured my right shoulder while pulling up on the tramp of the Hobie 14, after capsize (I had added a Hobie Bob to mast, which was big help). Then I re-injured the shoulder last year (waterskiing). So I sold the Hobie 14 last fall, and then sold the Force 5 this spring, after researching the market for an easier to sail boat. I picked the Hobie Bravo, and it was a great choice for me.
Bravo is by far the easiest boat to launch and rig - takes about 5 minutes to get going (remember I keep it on the lake shore in front of my house). For my weight (165 lbs), there is plenty of sail for the strong winds that I prefer. I was pleasantly surprised how often I have to furl the sail (usually about 12" shortened). Have used it with two adults, plus two kids (7 and 9 years old). Plenty of room if you just want to entertain the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I envy those who have a beachfront to keep their boat on - I've come to the harsh reality that my sailing days will be limited by water temps: my Bravo lives on a small boat lift; and although I'm a pretty decent sailor - I doubt I could sail it onto the 6" wide boards of the lift and stop it where needed.....

So my "style" is to get close to shore, furl the sail, bail off the boat in about 4' deep water, then walk it onto the lift. I LOVE being able to furl the sail rather than simply let it flap in the wind. On the other hand - you should have seen me BULLDOGGING a Hobie 16 to a halt....LOL!! Those cats have no sense of "whoa" :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sure seems like everybody loves their Bravo. I need to get out more often. I'm also hooked on Golf and riding my scooter, and my wife also has THINGS for me to do. Life is one busy journey. I need to rid myself of some hobbies. Which one is the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some pics from yesterday's outing on Cocagne Bay. My 8yr old daughter's first solo on the Bravo. Sorry about the crappy quality...taken with my iPhone...I should have brought the digital SLR.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Those are AWESOME pictures - I hope to teach my grandkids to sail!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the excellent photos. I like the way you've set up the paddles on the A frame. Where do you launch when sailing Cocagne Bay. I have a brother in law who lives on Lover's Lane. There is a sandy area, beach like, at the end of his street. OK to launch there when the tide is high. The Bay is an ideal place to sail but I don't like launching at the marina at Cap de Cocagne. I sometimes sail between the 2 bridges and launch at Cocagne Marina. Again, OK at high tide. Low tide has lots of sea weeds. Again, thanks for the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I launched from Cap de Cocagne Marina and towed her out to the bay. This week she's back at sailing school in Shediac. I purchased the paddle at Canadian Tire, I secure the separate pieces with short bungees that are held in place with electrical ties on the frame. It's handy to paddle inside the marina as they frown upon using the sail.

The wind was fairly light on that day, but when the Bravo was in the groove, I had trouble keeping up with her using my auxiliary engine on my sailboat. The acceleration of the Bravo is incredible...especially with just a single kid on board.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for reply on Cocagne Bay. I owned the Wave before trading for the Bravo. The Wave is difficult to row, Bravo much simpler. I'll look for you next time I'm on the bay. Believe I saw you last year when my wife and I were out on the Bay with the Wave.