Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I received the Bravo yesterday, I have not seen one and went on faith that this would be a fun boat. Previous experience has been I owned a 17' daysailer lots of family fun, comfortable, and fairly easy to rig but limited to hull speed. Have sailed H16's there fun, fast but the wife thinks it would be an eye sore in the back yard, won't fit in the garage and know I would loss interest when dealing with rigging when I only have a couple of hours to go sail. Then I thought about the wave, Cost more than I wanted to pay, no used ones in my area. So that let me with the Bravo or a zuma. I went for the Bravo as I am now a little older and believe in the keep it simple idea. I go solo most of the time other than maybe a grand kid once in a while.

My first impression

Taller rig and a lot of sail area than expected which is fine, might prove to be useful on light days ( always can be reefed on the heavy days)
Uncomfortable to sit on ( not in ) for an old man, I hope it heels quite allot. I like my feet lower than my but.

The hull meet my approval as I have poly kayaks and was afraid this boat would be thin flempsy plastic. that might warp over time.

The mast bob looks silly, do I have to use it. I don't see them on lasers. Is the boat that difficult to right if turtled? or has anyone attempted to seal the mast with tape. my last boat the mast was filled with foam, you probably could stuff a foam water noodle down the comp tip.

Has any body had any experience turtling or sealing the mast. Your experience would be helpful

I'll report on my first sail, its to cold right now give me a week.

Marlen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No idea but the Hobie 16 will fit in a 1 car garage without the mast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Admin

You can likely go without the float. On the Bravo it gives piece of mind and prevents turtling, so makes a capsize a low stress event. It is pretty stable upside down too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sitting takes a bit to get used to, but there are things I do to make it better. In winds enough to heel, the feet below the waist will be the norm, so no worries there. In lighter air I like to lay forward with my feet in the back. I find this very relaxing with plenty of room to "stretch out" and the tiller extension makes it easy to steer and I keep the weight forward. Otherwise, I do sometimes sit with my legs crossed if there is not enough heel and I don't feel like laying forward. Good luck with the boat.

Btw: I do keep the BOB on as it does provide peace of mind for a flip, which I have done a few times. I would prefer not to turtle as I think the righting of the boat may put to much pressure on the "A" frame.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"Uncomfortable to sit on ( not in ) for an old man, I hope it heels quite allot. I like my feet lower than my but."

I hear you on that. I sailed a Sunfish for many years as well as a Dart. The Sunfish had that little cockpit (well) that my feet would sit in and made it easier on my back. My Dart catamaran has shrouds and I am able to lean back on them making it nice on the back. I purchased a Zuma which had a roomy cockpit, but lacked the depth the Sunfish had. I am working on comfortable positions on the Bravo. This is more an issue of my back and age. The Bravo is a great little cat. I started to use the BoB hoping I would not feel goofy. I like the security it gives me when I am sailing on the ocean.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've sailed my Bravo with and without the Bob, didn't seem to make to much of a difference. I have flipped my Bravo a few times, all with the Bob on, so I couldn't say how fast the mast would sink without it.

I do sail on a lake that isn't very deep, so turtling would cause the mast to get stuck in the muck and grass on the bottom. For that reason I always use it when there is a chance of flipping, to avoid any damage to the mast and/or A frame.

I was thinking about some sort of Pads or cushions for the sides, to make it more comfortable when the wind was light. I have seen suggestions of wearing bicycle shorts that have the padding in the butt, but never tried that either. Just sail it for a while and see how it goes.

Good Luck with it, you're gonna enjoy it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your input. I will try the foam mat to save my knees when tacking. I did buy the boat as an incentive to get back in shape and lose some weight. As I diffantly love to sail.

I at first thought long and hard at the Hobie AI as I am a kayaker too, as it would be a comfortable ride but I thought the Bravo would be a more challenging boat, more true to the form of sailing and again incentive to exercise and lose a couple of pounds. I weight 190 but most of my life I've weighted 155, I'm an ADDHD kind of guy with a beer belly.

I plan on putting the boat on the water next weekend regardless how cold it might be.

Thanks for all your responses, see you on the water

Marlen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So how was it Marlen?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Haven't been out yet as I am waiting for the Title, They wont let my register to boat in tell I have all Documents. My Dealer says he just recivied the paper work from Hobie but now he has to send it to me.

The weather was warm Last Weekend but not a good day for sailing as there was no wind. Its going to be cooler with wind up to 20 tomorrow, But the County sheriff while be there to enforce registrations as the lake was just opened for the season, I might take my chances.

Thanks for your interest, I will be sure to report

Marlen