Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Matt, (or anyone else who would know)

I'm looking at a used bravo, and if I can get it, I'll need to build a trailer before I pick up the Bravo. I'm hoping to build a trailer, similar in concept to this:

To do that, I've taken the picture of the Bravo from the owners manual listed online, and the parts manual also found online. I assumed that these drawings were roughly to scale, and made a graph on the assumption that the boat is 12 feet long. If those drawings are correct, I'll be able to make a trailer from them (obviously they don't have to be perfect, but pretty close).

So here's what I'm sending to the trailer shop. Is the graphic below, close to accurate?

My second question:

The red lines would indicate the straps that I'd like to loop around each hull (through the scuppers) to hold the boat in place. Is that a good spot to strap the boat?

Finally:

My information says that the centreline of each hull, on the bottom is 44.5 inches apart. Is that correct?

Thanks to anyone who can help me!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Looks close, but lengths to scuppers are off. The forward cockpit scupper is 5' back. The rear scupper is 8' 9" back.

The keels are at about 44" on center.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for your help Matt!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry I'm so late in replying - but I altered a small boat lift to hold my Bravo. The first set of 6" wide x 9' long bunks are flat, so the hulls rest on them. The second set of 4" x 9' bunks are vertical, and are on the inside of the hulls, so the boat can't slide off the support bunks. Works great - a simple rope across the front ties the boat down so it doesn't leave in a wind. (This after my old H16 flipped itself on top of our pontoon boat in a gale...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks KayakDeb!

I've got a trailer completed now that looks similar to the one in the picture above. It ended up being a bit bigger then I wanted, but it's lightweight and easy to use. I also had a custom dolly built... and then I had it ripped apart and rebuilt. I'll get pictures up here at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hate to bring up a old thread. I'm a long time lurker first time poster and I have a couple of questions about this topic.

I've recently ordered a Bravo and am awaiting it's arrival. In the mean time I just placed a order for a Wesco trailer to be made for it (They are local to me). Using information from this thread and this one viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42788&hilit=trailer they are using a previously constructed Wave trailer as a guide. I am having 10' bunks installed even with the rear of the trailer with 44" keel to keel spacing. The sales rep I'm dealing with is trying to figure out where to place the up right guide rollers in relation to the bunks. He states that they will be welded on and then the crossbars go to the galvanizing shop to get dipped at one time, so waiting for the boat to see where it sits isn't really an option. If someone has this information that I could pass on to the shop that would be great.

Also when I do pick up my boat I am going to assemble it. I don't think I'll have a problem with that, but what size container will it come in? I've heard about 13' long and that's all. If this trailer isn't completed by then I believe I'll remove my sail tube and use my H16 trailer to retrieve it. Does anyone see any issues with that back up plan?

I'm looking forward to my new boat showing up. I currently have a H16 and have been looking for a H14 to solo sail as I work a funky schedule and can not always find a crew. I think the Bravo is going to be great for me to get out on Lake Murray easier and more frequent, both good things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Admin

The Bravo box is:

Description Weights & Dimensions Feet Cubic Feet LTL Shipping Total Weight
H12 Bravo BOAT (1 carton): (146” x 54” x 24”) – 250# 12’ 2” 109.50 250#

I'd guess the upright guide rollers would be at the beam dimension? Beam: 4' 5" / 1.35 m

Maybe slightly inboard if at an angle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you very much for that information, it's just what i was looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like a good plan, I just purchased a new Hobie Bravo July 18th, and am still amazed at how much fun it is. To transport it I am thinking about buying a small light weight trailer with 470 lbs. capacity from Harbor Freight. It just costs $185.00. I will be doing some modifications to it like extending the trailer tongue and building the cradle to carry the boat. You might check into it. I will be using it to haul the boat less than a mile to the boat ramp from our cabin. They sell an 8ft. trailer for around 280.00 I believe that might be more suitable for hauling a longer distnance. Comes with lights and everything to make it legal. It is only the metal trailer chasis though, you have to build the mods to hold the boat.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I called Matt today to confirm the keel width measurement on the Bravo. He said it was 45" on center. (thought I would add it to this thread in case anyone else is trying to adjust a trailer to fit one before they go pick it up... like I am tomorrow :)