Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

anything I can use to restore it?
it is 2003 Bravo with yellow color on the bottom of the sail. I made a snorkel to cover it when sitting on the beach furled but previous owner didn't and the color looks uneven.

Last edited by cezar on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yellow High Lighter? LOL.

Seriously, it looks pretty good from the picture.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that picture isn't the actual boat, but a picture of the same style sail. I've seen that picture online in other places.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the picture just shows the old design of a sail. newer one has blue on the botttom of it. a yellow highlighter idea isn't new... I thought about it but I was hoping for maybe more permanent application. It is only the part that was exposed to the sun after furling it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a product called "303 Aerospace Protectant." I buy 303 Protectant at Ace Hardware; but you can also get it online, too. Just a warning, it's expensive stuff (about $16 for a 16 oz. bottle); but it really does work. It's basically sunscreen for your sail: it protects the sails against UV rays. As an added benefit, for your case, it darkens the colors of your sail so that they look new again. Depending on how often you sail, I put the protectant on my sail about twice a year.

First, I give the sail a good washing with a gentle soap (not dish soap). Then after it dries, I apply the 303 Protectant, much like you would apply Armoral to your dashboard. It took me two 16 oz. bottles to do my Bravo sail (one bottle for each side of the sail). Then roll the sail up, your done. Note, I do not let the sail dry after applying the 303 Protectant. Instead I roll it up right away for storage so that the Protectant has a chance to really soak into the fibers. As expensive as that stuff is, I do not want to just let it evaporate off the sail before it has a chance to soak into the fabric.

Several months down the line if the sail begins to look dry, I just reapply, following the same procedure. This stuff is expensive; but so is a new sail. :D