Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First anniversary with the Hobie Bravo, and after a very timid start I have gained a lot of confidence. Certainly learned a lot, mainly to be very attentive or you will “pay-the-penalty.” Lots of unintentional practice at the start righting the boat and getting back aboard (easy).

From my experience, this is a very well designed, safe and stable boat, and more stable with two aboard.

Here’s a video of my sailing area. Truly wonderful and I’m very fortunate. Water’s a bit chilly, so I wear a wetsuit year-round. I also find the wetsuit provides a bit of padding making it very comfortable for sitting and manoeuvring on the boat.

The video: Hobie sailing – St Margaret’s Bay Nova Scotia (Hobie Bravo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anR3O3HpXO0

Hand-held waterproof camera. A mounted one would be better, but there-you-go... Means I have one hand for the tiller and one for the camera. So, the mainsheet is cleated, and not in my hand where it should be (I know... I know...).

Even old retired guys can have fun...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beautiful area! Nice video too! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great video. You had some really good speed going there. I liked watching that one bigger wave come at you in the last few seconds.

That is indeed a beautiful area. I spent a week sea kayaking there about 10 years ago. I'm guessing you do a bit of that too from the spare paddle I saw in the video.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, we are kayakers. (Good eye for detail.)

In fact, my wife and I had a great time kayaking on your beautiful island in 2010 in vicinity of Tracadie Bay and the sand dunes of the north shore. Really wonderful scenery and large flocks of migrating geese, and a huge number of terns (“Arctic” and “Common,” as well as the larger “Caspsian” which we don’t see around here).

Great time with my “Windpaddle” kayak sail on a windy day. (Works well with our ruddered kayak, not so much with my skegged one.)

Two of my ancestors (Stewarts) sailed in PEI, but it was not a pleasant experience. They were aboard the barque Annabella that was ship-wrecked off Princetown. A cairn in Cabot Park at Malpeque (formerly Princetown) says: “On this shore the barque Annabella from Campbellton, Scotland was wrecked in October 1770. Her passengers, having lost all their possessions found welcome shelters in French homes. In spite of extreme hardship, these emigrants and their descendants by their faith and courage made worthy contributions to the development of a progressive community, province and country. Sixty families arrived on the Annabella and included such names as: Allanby, Carr, English, Inglis, MacKendrick, MacNeill, MacMillan, MacIntosh, MacArthur, MacDougall, MacGougan, MacKay, MacKenzie, Murphy, Montgomery, Sinclair, Stewart, Smith, Ramsay, Taylor and Woodside.”

I say the above, in part, because I note your family name in the passenger list. (If I deduce the “Murph” is short for Murphy – I may be off here...)

By the way, I have a jury-rigged deck mount for my camera for my kayaks. Out once with it so far. Here’s a video I took. (Not perfect yet, as you can see a bit of the Velcro strap on the right side of the lens.) “Sailing and kayaking – Halifax NS,” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3ytoD- ... ure=relmfu (The fellow in the sailboat gave me permission to put this on utube.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow. I can honestly say my kayak has never gone that fast unless maybe I was surfing a big wave. I'm going to have to get a sail kit to try out.

I don't think my eye was that great. If it was, I might have also noticed your board name. hahaha

Yes, Definitely a Murphy, although I don't think we arrived on that particular vessel. My family arrived and settled in Eastern PEI although now I live on the North Shore.

I also noticed from the caption on the video that you were in a Chatham 17. That is the boat I bought for my wife a few years ago. She loves it, as do I. It has also become my "play in the surf" boat when she is not using it. My own is a very old Seaward Quest. I bought it used in 97 and I still love it dearly but at 19', it's not exactly a play boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Actually, I have to admit to paddling that day. The fellow in “Dream Catcher” was doing the sailing. A kayak sail (mine is 10 sq ft vs 87 sq ft for the Bravo) will move you along in a good wind, but nothing close to a Bravo’s performance.

You’ve got two great kayaks. Our family has four Neckys, the Chathum 17 being my favourate.

Now that I have the Hobie Bravo, I essentially use the Hobie for sailing, and the kayaks for paddling. I got the “Windpaddle” kayak sail sometime back, and that got me interested in sailing. And so the Bravo...

Still tinkering with my new waterproof camera settings (Canon D20). The first ones I put on utube were ‘full HD.’ My son said it was max’ing out my computer CPU, so I tried the lower ‘HD’ setting yesterday. Here are two videos I took at that setting.

Sea Kayaking - St Margaret’s Bay Nova Scotia - Pt 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY98KZ8k0cI

Sea Kayaking - St Margaret’s Bay Nova Scotia - Pt 2 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsGQXu65 ... ure=relmfu

Very calm day on the Bay, but two days ago I was out in the Hobie in the same area in a pretty brisk wind.

Overall, I love kayaking, but if there’s a bit of wind, I go for the Bravo.