Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would any 21 sailors like to rendezvous this season for a long weekend somewhere?I live in south central Indiana and usually sail on Lake Monroe by Bloomington IN.Good launch and set up place there and nice camping at Paynetown State Recreation Area.I have sailed out of there since '76.Weko Beach in Bridgman MI on Lake Michigan is wonderful too just watch out for those annoying pebbles on the beach that can lockup your dagger boards in the sleeves.St. Andrews State Park in Panama City is very very nice place but a long expensive drive that cuts into sailing time.Western Lake Erie is also a favorite place for me too.Cheney Reservoir by Wichita KS is great too but a long drive too.
I am wanting to hear your input and ideas.Where is your perfer place to sail?Perhaps we can rendezvous at a regatta and sail and party together...the camaraderie is what I like most about sailing and for decades found well worth my time to participate in.
Good Day,Bill 404 21 SE..........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to, but I wouldn't be able to leave the job for more than a day or 2 at most attached to a long weekend (self employed). I sail in Barnaget bay, NJ if there is anyone reasonably close let me know. Sailing is great they frequently hold catamaran regattas in the bay, plus there is a nice state park and tice's shoal (party spot) all within a few miles of launch sites. No bridges to contend with and bay gets warm fast (ave water depth only 8 feet). Also there are a few local camp grounds and hotels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd be very interested, if we can get enough people. My old man is dying to get out on his 21
(I've only sailed 16's) I sail in Brookville resevoir, launch from Hanna creek.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Jack,
Hanna Creek is only an hour and a half from me.I could bring my 21 SE about anytime to sail with you.I would like that.I also sail a 16 that travels a little easier.Perhaps you could sail with me on Lake Monroe (by Bloomington,IN)sometime too.There is a nice launch site there used by catamarans and sand to park your boat on.Some of the electrical camp sites have really nice sandy beaches hidden in small coves. Let me know.Yesterday, I got a new wet suit for my daughter and she excited about this new sailing season too.Let's make this work... Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Alright, I'll email you when I get a weekend, work just picked back up so this month is pretty booked, then easter...say maybe second or third weekend in April??? I used to kayak & camp around Monroe's south shores. The beach at the park there is great! My 16 has bare hulls presently :wink: what tags do I need to launch form the park. I know there's a sailing club on the west end of the basin but I've never been. Theres a place in the forum for favorite sailing spots its tied in with Google maps, I've marked monroe and hanna creek is there any other good sailing around us? I'm considering dragging my 16 down to Madison and putting in there working my way up river (if the wind dies you can always drift back to the car!) theres some serious distance between the locks and the traffic isn't so bad...just a thought.
Stay in touch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will only need a park pass ($30?)and non motorized launch permit ($5) both good for the year and at any state park.Paynetown State Recreation Area is the place for Hobie cats( by the causeway St. Rd 446),launch from the parking lot next to the beach house.Just back up to the waters edge and slide your boat off it's trailer.No need to use the boat ramp,just take your time.There is a huge parking lot there with a basketball goal.