Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neoprene on wings
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Has anyone tried to place neoprene on the rails of their wings? I have two issues, one is the docks that we launch from are high and my crew, wife and kids, allows the wings to hit the dock and this is starting to tear and wear the mesh :( and for more comfortable hiking with booties vs. hard soled sandals.

I will defend the crew a little as this is a fairly unprotected dock and with the waves makes it difficult to hold the boat away from the dock depending on wind and wave direction. I just noticed the wear on the mesh and while not significant I would like to reduce this without looking for wing mesh soon.....

What are the con's of doing this?

Post subject: Re: Neoprene on wings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get another boat or another dock! The neopene will work . It will get torn also. You can probably get it sewn on or just glue it one. The latter wil be messy when you want to replace it. My brother got a thin walled pvc pipe and cut it lengthwise and cut out a 2 inch piece lengthwise and snaps it over the outside of his wing to protect it at rough docks. When he goes sailing he sticks it in the hull or throws it at me on the docks.

PS There is no defense for the crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
My brother got a thin walled pvc pipe and cut it lengthwise and cut out a 2 inch piece lengthwise and snaps it over the outside of his wing to protect it at rough docks.

That's a great idea. I think this will keep it protected during the loading and unlaoding process and easy to stow in the hulls.

Quote:
PS There is no defense for the crew

You are correct, but the crew being my wife.....Also, when trying to hold the boat in 20-25mph winds and waves on a large lake it is very difficult by yourself to control the boat.

thank you for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, If your taking the Family out for a sail you could take 2 of those 2 inch soft rubber seats like fenders they make up for the sailors, and when you come back in you could just use them, They make great seats for the kids. http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/