Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had six on board this time. Still plenty of room. but we did have three people trying to sit on a wing at a given time and i started thinking about weight limits. Sailed out from Kenedy park in Somers point NJ. Same as last trip. Got out in the water and did some basic crew orientation. then it was time to cross under the bridge and head into the main part of the bay. Called up the bridge to arrange an opening. The winds were poinint straight in our favor thru the bridge so we decided to leave it at sail and shoot the bridge under sail.

We came up to the bridge perfectly timed on a close hauled run to get to the bridge right at peak height. the we would run thru the bridge on a broad reach. My motor guy was having a bit of difficulty getting the motor in running position anyway. So it should all work out. Got up to the bridge to make my cut to downwind and all i see is a Coast guard Cabin cruiser coming straight for the bridge from the opposite side. There was no time for him to abort so we aborted our crossing and ended up in irons on the west side about 20 yards from the bridge.

As we scrambled now to get the sails down and the motor up before we got blown into the bridge the coastis came on the radio and said "thanks for giving way there, we are just testing out a new rescue boat"... it was hard to keep composure and not come back on but i was busy trying to save the crossing. Got the motor fired up turned back and came back and under the bridge. there was a bit of area down wind of the bridge that had no wind but once we cleared it we played around in the bay for an hour or so and even poked our heads out into the inlet but the seas were too big too big for my now getting inebriated crew.

comming back was a bit more of a problem. to get to the bridge its about a half mile of narrow channel with the wind comming straight down it. That with a 4kt current pulling out made it impossible to sail back up. we dropped sails and went swimming for a bit. everyone got back on board. pulled the starter, and again, and again. The Iron Maiden was not starting. we checked the lines, kill switch, all throttle and choke settings. nothing could get this motor to start.

we drifted down current away from teh bridge for about ten minuits while we tried to read the motors manual. finally we started drifting into a shore and had to set sail back to the middle of the channel and drop anchor. and hour and a half had past and i was ready to raise the orange flag of defeat when finally the motor sputtered a little, more with each pull. untill it came to life. choking and spitting out a bit a fluid with two of the cycles. once it cleared whatever it had wrong with it she happily motored up the channel and got us in under a beautifull sunset and glassy water.

The Gps said we motored at about 6kts. and under sail best we hit for the day was 7kts but i believe i was dragging the center boards the entire trip. the ropes had a bit of play to them, and i didn't think much of it at the time untill we went to push it around from dockside and it was dragging. I believe i may have some surface repairs to do to the boards.

All in all successful trip. But boy am i glad that motor started finally because there was no way of getting back under sail alone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OH i forgot to mention. there was a Tri-foiler in the area but we must have missed him. no sightings :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Next time the motor doesn't start on the third pull, return the choke to run position, open the throttle wide open, and it should start in a few pulls. It sounds like you are flooding the engine.
Lots of sputtering before it starts is usually either no fuel or too much (flooding). Once you check for fuel valve open, cap breather open, and gas in the tank (hopefully not old or water contaminated, you use "stabil" gas storage additive hopefully) and those are all ok, then think flooded and clear it out with a few pulls at full throttle, no choke.
That's how it is with my Honda 2 hp anyway.

Post subject: Motor Failure
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Motors can be tricky at times, i don't know how old your motor is, but if its old buy a new one. The trouble it could save we be well worth it,,CHEERS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

always use fresh gas
always crank the motor at the dock and let run for a few minutes
always carry starting fluid
always turn off gas and run carb empty at the end of the day
always carry a extra spark plug and tool
always let motor idle ready for use if in a really tight area
always use Shell gas it has no alcohol
Gary
Hobie Cat 21 SE
Stars and Strips USA 415
Mercury 3HP model 1988

Post subject: Motor Failure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That's good advice Gary, You can always start her up at home before you leave as well. and if you don't use that motor all that often its still a good idea to start her up at least once a month. And as i said if its old buy a new one,,its small insurance for a expensive boat. CHEERS ,,,Pepsi :wink: