Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I removed the stock cheata motor mount plywood block and replaced with one about 2" higher . My motor sits a little higher. I try to get the crew forward when motoring. I still get some waves over the top of the motor. It sputters and then runs just fine. It has quit about once in 20 years in a very big wake over the back of the boat but started right up. I keep extra fuel in a metal jar from the camping supplies for stoves they hold about a quart and do not leak ever. I use Shell gas (fresh) and synthetic oil which smokes very little. 3 hp Merc 20 years old and still going strong
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

just put my merc 3 hp in the shop mechanic said that the carb needed to be cleaned and it needed a new water pump. I might even put in a new spark plug not bad after 20 years of use. Last fall it fell into the lake running.
I keep a safety rope from the motor to the boat when in use. The motor went under when I was using it to power dredge under my boat lift to remove sediment and the 2X6 board it was attached to broke. I was very lucky the propellor got me from knee to neck.
Anyway the boat repair is $230.00 for carb rebuild new fuel lines fuel filter water pump lower gear lube this is the only work ever done to the motor except one spark plug.
Just a few weeks till I get the boat off the floating dock pull up that sail and wind the Merc up to get out of the cove
Gary

Last edited by gary eudy on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We almost lost the motor to Davy Jones last season. Scrambling to get the motor down after almost being ran over by a coast guard boat. We had the wooden block break a bit as the motor tried sliding off. Very close lol

Post subject: Outboard motors
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, Here is how it actually went down.
The Cheata mount did not really fit the stern crossbar and could not riveted in place, so we had to grind it down to fit, and then rivet it on as best we could.
It could not be mounted high enough to get the motor bar level because of the traveler track, which left the motor perilously close to the water, so we taped heavy aluminum angles to the underside of the bar to raise it. This worked so well that I plan to replace the angles with a length of aluminum channel welded to the bar.
Since the aluminum pin that supports the bar is far too weak for ordinary use, raising and lowering the motor as designed is impractical. I fell over the stern finding this out, so I am going to abandon this system and weld a solid block of aluminum in its place. Forget about that pin.
With the bar level, the shroud does not catch any waves in choppy lake water, and with the short shaft, it is easy to tilt the motor up and out of the way when sailing.
Our 3-1/2 HP motor drove the boat directly into a 15 mph wind with the sails up. Very satisfactory performance. It runs about 45 minutes between fill-ups. Warning. I purchased (4) 1 qt fuel bottles from the Bottless website, but he never sent them.
Our biggest difficulty with the boat was being captured in the irons by a strong wind while tacking.
The best feature of the 21 SC is its exceptionally smooth, and powerful ride. We flew a hull with four aboard, and it was like bounding across the waves behind a team of spirited horses.
My Catalina 27 friend said it was 'so damned fast...'
My mentally ill son Richard definitely liked it as well.
Thanks for your input.