Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diamond wire tension
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, do you know the recommended diamond wire tension, using a Loos tension gauge for the SC? I'd like to know for both moderate and heavy winds, if they're available.

I plan on doing the Hagar's run, if work doesn't get in the way like it did last year. Yeah, I know the SC isn't a race boat, but Hagar's isn't a real race either. It's more of a race what you have. Having said that, I have no real hope of winnng, my real goal is not to come in last! Though I think they give out trophys for that too. I've been told I'll be doing good just to keep up with an H16...I found that rather insulting actually...

I have a jennaker, and have a few questions about it also. I've seen videos of boats running with both the jib and a spinnaker at the same time. I've been told using a jib with a spinnaker is a waste of time, with little or no gain in speed. Your thoughts??

I've already pulled the cabin, but any other tuning tips you may have for the SC would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 am 
Site Admin

There is no Loos guage setting advised. The Mast on the SC is VERY stout and the wires can be a little loose to hand tight. Not tensioned.

The sail area is similar to an 18 and the Hobie 18 mast is wimpy in comparison. The 18 diamonds could be VERY loose... touch the mast 18" above the lower attachment point for ligher crew (depower).

I don't think you will see that much change on the 21SC, but you can try very loose to de power and hand snug for more power.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)