Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding Front Tramp to SE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to add a front trampoline to my 21SE. I know I can find track, but am wondering about the front bar. How is this attached to the boat? What is the general cross section of this cross member? I ahve noticed some boats with striker suuport on this front cross member, is this required? Would spinniker pole be below the trampoline? My current pole attaches to the striker and would now be cover by the tramp. Any other items that anyone can give me advice to this addition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You'd probably have to give up your spin and get a Jennaker, or save the spin for days you can live w/o the front tramp.

The biggest issues I see are finding a tramp that will fit the wider SE, and how to attach it to the center crossbar. The tramp on the SC is heat molded around the perimeter...not easy to duplicate. Does the main tramp on the SE slide in a groove on the center crossbar or is it laced? If it's laced, that would make things a lot easier, with some fancy rope work.

You could probably fashion a tramp bar out of an old boom form an older cat. Pay attention to pages 1 and 10 http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/21SCParts.pdf

Good luck

Post subject: But Why
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess this could be done. But Why? The Hobie 21 SE is such a great boat as is The standard wings and tramp is huge and holds many many numbers of crew . I have sailed with 5 adults and a few kids and still had plenty of room. This is like a trailer on a motorcycle or a camping tent on a corvette.
I can not say enough about what a high performance and family cruiser this boat is stock out of the box.
Try to enjoy it for a few seasons
It is not a HC Sport Cruiser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have to say I find the front tramp very convienent. Besides having a place to dump the kids and keep them off my lines, it provides a place to stand when things don't go right with the Jennaker, or jib etc. Situtations where one may need to beach the boat otherwise. It may even keep your ass on board, should one take an unexpected header... :shock: :lol:

I guess if you've never had one, you don't know what it is you're missing. I would agree the SE has more real estate on it's main tramp though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the input! I was only looking for additional space in certain situations. I think a triangle netting to a spinniker pole would also work but would not allow people.... I am still not sure that I understand the best method to attach the new front bar to the hulls. What kind of backing should I place inside the hull and how should I access. New port? I am not convinced I am ready to add this improvement just thought it would be fairly easy.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did it to my 21SE and both my wife and I love it. Makes headsail work and anchoring (I never liked dragging the hulls up on the sand) much easier.
I set up my boat for day sailing including roller furling screacher, front tramp, two horse Honda, large hull hatches (big enough for small coolers, folding chairs, etc.)
Post your email and I can contact you, I'd rather not write it all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks! spesce at pacland dot com.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a front tramp that came with my boat that I have no intention of ever using. I would be interested in selling or better yet, trading for H21SE spinnaker gear.

I've never had it on the boat but in the bag is a bow crossbar extrusion and the netting, all of which looks pretty much new. There are tracks with sliding eyelets running along the inside edges of the forward hulls that I'll be removing in the next few weeks to include in the package. It appears to be sized for the full 9' 6" beam

Let me know,

David Gauci

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks David

I saw the tracks on your picture of the main uphaul. This would be a good asset in your trip around the island.

I think I may wait a little as I was asking about the front tramp before I even sailed the boat. My Tornado feels like 1/2 the size of the 21SE as the wings make that much of a difference. I have not been crowded on the boat even with 6 adults..... After my fun last weekend, I am going to invest in new standing rigging and getting the righting pole rigged. I broke two trapeze wires during my spill and think that I am going to replace all standing rigging along with the trapeze wires. I also got all the parts to rig the righting pole today and will get that done.

I'll let you know over the next few months as I would still like to have the front tramp it's just not on the top of the list. Shoot me an email with your asking price. I might even drive up to get it as I am only 2.5 hours from Vancouver.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

let's see a photo of this forward tramp please.........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bill,

I'll be heading over to the Island this weekend and will bring it back to get some pics.

Thanks,

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,

Here are the pics of the front tramp for my Hobie 21SE. It appears to be in excellent shape although I've never had it on the boat. The black anodized section spans the bows and the other 3 sides get lashed to the sliders on the inside of the forward hulls.

Its complete and looks like it will add a LOT of room to the 21.

Thanks,

David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would it actually support someones weight?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, looks like it would. Asd I said, I've never had it on but it appears to have been well built. The webbing is quite thick.