Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Had a trap line knot come undone while raising the mast. happened at about 45* up. Mast swung wildly to the side, BUT The mast stabilized and was easy to lower back down and correct. scared the snot out of us though!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have found with three people the raising of the SE mast is easy without a gin pole. As someone suggested to me I need to build a quick bipole for the rear of the boat to raise the mast just enough to allow the winch start pulling the mast up and thus eliminating the thrid person. The bipole needs to be maybe 6 feet above rear bar. Then one person to stabilize mast and the other to winch. Winch fast and do not stop until up and stabilized. I don't think I would do it with less than two people and preferrably three. I won't solo the boat anyways, so this should not be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like your idea of a tall bipole at the rear of the boat.I can simple build an extension for my rear mast caddie and save my back.I currently use an tall extension on my front mast caddie with a snatch block and my winch to pull that monster mast up.I can raise the mast myself and my daughter handles the winch.Does anyone use a gin pole?How do other people handle this setup?
Thanks,Bill 404 21se

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't find it now but I just saw a video on youtube (probably got the link here) of someone solo stepping a mast. They just used a paint roller extension propped under the mast. As soon as they started winching from the front, the pole just fell on the ground.