Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Instability-21SC
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In moderate to heavy wind, I am experiencing an issue with the jib where the leech flaps back and forth, sometimes violently. It is noisy, I am sure inefficient, and likely to damage the sail before long. I have experimented with traveler positions and line tension with no significant change.

I previously owned an H17 Sport with an aftermarket Calvert jib of a very similar shape that had the same problem. The Calvert sail had a leech trim line that, when tension was increased, would completely eliminate this issue.

I am assuming the jib I have is a Hobie original.

Does anyone out there have experience curing this issue? Is there a solution other than adding a leech trim line to my current sail or buying a new sail equipped with one? Does Hobie ever use such a trim line?

Post subject: Re: Jib Instability-21SC
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Flapping leech is possible on most sails when windy and sails are either worn or loose in the leech. A sailmaker can adjust the leech and add a tension line if you like.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt. I wasn't sure if there was a simple trick to cure this or not. I know I haven't found it, but I thought I should ask before throwing money at it. The Jib is 10 years old with relatively light use. By eye, I wouldn't say it looks heavily worn or stretched, but I am not sure you can tell without measuring or something.

My local sail shop can add a leech line for around $100. A low cost new jib I believe is about $400, and the one I would want is probably more like $700, so it sure seems worth extending the life of this one a bit.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A leech line is one way to go. However, they're generally considered to be a control that robs a sail's performance. The reason is that they cause a considerable "hook" to the leech of the sail. It is basically adding draft to the trailing edge which is not what you want. If you're just using the boat for cruising, it may be ok.

Since you're going to be taking the sail to a sailmaker anyway, it's worth asking their opinion. They may recommend recutting/stitching the leech to remove the excess material. This would most likely be a better solution depending on cost. You could also have them give you their opinion/quote to install several leech battens. These would be quite easy to install and may also solve or at least reduce your problem.

The other thing to keep in mind is that a rattling old sail may not be worth putting any money into. Sail it for the rest of this season the way it is and then do a total upgrade when you have the cash.

Last, you said that you tried different sheet positions/tensions. Generally, moving the jib cars forward will put more tension on the leech , so that may help. The down side is that it also makes the sail fuller which is something you don't really want in higher wind.

sm