Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 21SE righting pole
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Yeah, it probably wouldn't take more than a few hours to get across to Victoria if you get that nice afternoon westerly that sweeps down the Strait. That would be worth the trip in itself. I'm not on Vancouver Island but on Gambier Island in Howe Sound about 30 minutes north of Vancouver.

Here's the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 0&t=h&z=13

This has just got me thinking that maybe it would be fun to host an informal "Around the Sound" weekend, invite a bunch of boats up to Gambier.... we have a big sheltered beach and tons of room for camping. If you can't make that, I'm sailing from Victoria to Port Hardy in July of next year to check out the more remote beaches for the race. Company would be welcome.

Here's the route:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 14&t=h&z=7

It would be better for me to launch from Bellingham and cruise up the inside. I am ready for some sailing in the north sound and straights. I have only sailed monohulls from bellingham to north San Juans. My boat originated in Friday Harbor and the owner was lost at sea. I won't be able to get any surfing in on the sound, but the sailing should be awesome. Has anymore feet washed up lately? Are you ready for the Olympics?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Specse, I'm thinking that bike part is going to torque around when the starboard hull is in the air. Also, looking at the picture with the jib blocks made me remember that we changed from cams mounted on the blocks to swivel cams. Pam had a problem cleating when we were at the back of the wing and using the jib if the ones on the blocks were set to work easily when forward on the wing out on the wire.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

[quote]I'm thinking that bike part is going to torque around when the starboard hull is in the air.[/quote]

Thanks Tom.
Since this is the part from the bike that holds the handle bars hopefully the part won't twist around the striker as this would be similar to rotating the handle bars. It should hold. Since the only force on the mast will generally be compression I think the force will be to twist the connection and not rotate around the striker axis. We'll see.

Please take pictures of your jib cleats. I can easily uncleat the jib, but the crew, wife or son, has difficulty. Easier for crew is better!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spesce, more picturess taken and I emailed them to you. I took one of the lower mast too and the spinnaker bags. I still haven't gotten around to doing anything with the boat yet.

The cleat change was not so much for being able to uncleat them but the entry angle into the stock cleat varies significantly from being on the wire at the front of the wings and at the back. This way allowed them to be easily handled from any postion. Wind barely strong enough to trap and waves meant we stayed up front near the center of gravity so the hulls could more easily hobby horse the waves, and upwind in strong wind with the main traveled out meant we were at the back as well as when it was too strong the fly the chute downwind. Pete's method of handling this around the short race courses for Prosail was to just take the cleats off the blocks and not have any, but he had a strong guy for a crew who was able to manage with just the ratchets much like a Laser mainsail.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took my stock cleats off my jib blocks and installed them and 4 more on my wings.They are easy to use there and I also cleat my spinnaker with them....... sometimes even the main gets cleated there just because it is right next to me and easy to released........

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I took my stock cleats off my jib blocks and installed them and 4 more on my wings.They are easy to use there and I also cleat my spinnaker with them....... sometimes even the main gets cleated there just because it is right next to me and easy to released........

Bill - While in soccer season I am not sailing as much as I would like and therefore doing all the maintenance before the rains come for the next 6 months. It would be great to see pictures of your cleats on the wings as this would definitely be easier for the crew at times. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the cleats on the wings. The intent wouldn't be as much to hold tensioned sheets but more out of convenience when you need to free up a hand or two from time to time when out on the wing. The logical place would be on the top outside edge but I suspect that they'd get beaten up against the dock when when tied up. I imagine that they'd also end up being a bit of an obstacle when sliding back onto the wing. I'd like to see what you did and how it worked for you.

These Hobie 21's are potentially quite a platform to customize for distance work now that they don't race as a fleet anymore. Keep the ideas coming.

David

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My trapeze harness doesn't have enough padding in the butt to have cleats on the edge of the wing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Place those cammatics on the inside of the wing rail with a slight angle forward.They work fine there...I will have my computer/photo expert (my 14 year old daughter) document this setup for you guys.Let's post some 21 SE photo for all to enjoy and view different ways we rig our boats.I really like see other 21 SE photo particularly close up shots of rigging or fun new location to sail at.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nicely done, Spesce. Have you tried it out?? You might think about taking a piece of a swim noodle and slide it over the pole area where the hull may strike as it's crashing down. You may not need it, I can't say for sure, but it would suck to find out the hard way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Placing padding over the end where it would strike the hull upon righting is a great idea. Thank TC. I'll do that before I sail again. I have not had a chance to try it out yet and most likely will need to wait until after Thanksgiving when soccer season is over. I also realized after planning my next rigging that the gooseneck needs to be lowered an inch or two to accomodate my spinnaker pole. I am jonesing to sail again :twisted: