Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21SE righting pole
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Calling David Gauci -

I saw on a previous post that you rigged a righting pole to solo right your 21SE. That's impressive. I was going to rig a righting pole utilizing a windsurfing mast. Hopefully, you can help with questions and pictures.

What is the righting pole made of? Aluminum, fiberglass or carbon
How long is the pole?
How is it attached to the dolphin striker or the front crossbar?
How far out along the pole from the crossbar are the lines attached to the pole?
How are these lines attached to the pole?
Do you still use righting bag to assist?
What angle up is the pole from 90 degrees or straight out?

It you could send pictures of connection points, cleats, etc. along with either sketches or descriptions of the critical dimensions. email is spesce at pacland dot com.

Thanks David

Post subject: Re: 21SE righting pole
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll be heading over to the island this weekend and will get pics for you. Here's one just showing the front area:

Its a little makeshift but it works. I keep saying that I have to go get some real fittings but it seems to work fine as it is.

What is the righting pole made of? Aluminum, fiberglass or carbon - Its an old aluminum boom (I'd love to get a spinnaker pole or something lighter)
How long is the pole? - From the dolphin striker to about a foot past the aft crossbar
How is it attached to the dolphin striker or the front crossbar? - A bunch of 3/16 braid interlaced around the bottom of the dolphin striker
How far out along the pole from the crossbar are the lines attached to the pole? How are these lines attached to the pole? - See description
Do you still use righting bag to assist? Haven't needed to
What angle up is the pole from 90 degrees or straight out? Seemed to be just upward of the line of the mast

1) The pole is attached to the dolphin striker by some braid and is supported aft by a shackle connecting to the center of the aft crossbar
2) I ran 2 lines (1/2" I think) from the very outsides of the front crossbar (by the pins), aft to the end of the pole under the tramp which has 2 turning blocks aft, each of which run the line back forward against the pole to 2 cam cleats mounted about a foot from the makeshift gooseneck. I then loosely tie off the tails to the crossbar.

To utilize:
1) Boat goes over, now standing on hull
2) Unhook shackle on aft crossbar
3) Swing pole out perpendicular to the tramp
4) Adjust the upper line to get a good angle (Too high and it tends to swing laterally)
5) Hang out for all she's worth
6) Once boat starts moving again, the pole surfaces aft of the tramp, snap it back in

I have a righting bucket that I have yet to put on the boat to make it easier but at 200lbs, I can right it on my own.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks David. I will firgure out how to rig a windsurfing mast.

What are those swivel cleats on your front crossbar used for? I have them and can only think they are somehow use for the spinnaker??????Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you were right about those swivel cleats being used for the original, no-pole spinnaker use. I went over and looked at my boat and I had taken those off and put a flag identification sticker over one set of holes and a Hobie course sticker over the other. I remember looking at those a few weeks ago and wondering why I had put those stickers on there since I never put them on any other boat.

I would say it's safe to consider them useless.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went over again and looked at my attachments for the spinnaker pole and righting pole. I didn't remember how I did them. There are aluminum clamps-cubes about 1 3/4" square, split down the middle, and a hole that gives a perfect fit around the dolphin striker vertical rod through the center of the split, with the two halves held together with 1/4" or maybe #10 stainless flat head machine screws flush on the front half into threaded holes on the back half in each of the four corners. In the middle of the cube between the heads of the machine screws is a threaded hole that holds the lower threaded stud of a u-joint for a windsurfing mast foot.

I can't remember where I got them. It's a pretty clean looking setup. I may have drilled and tapped that center hole but the rest of it looks well machined including rounded edges.

edited to add: I looked online to see if I could find a source. It may have been something found by one of my customers. When I had the boat business it was not unusual to have quite a bunch hanging around at night while we worked on boats and these guys came from all sorts of backgrounds in the Triangle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I saw this set-up elsewhere. I have old hourglass mast bases and can picture this setup in my mind. I will find or make a clamp like this. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You might consider using a fiberglass antenna pole http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiberglass-poles-Ham-antenna-camping-tent-4-pack_W0QQitemZ370187976169QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5630ec3de9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 and use these stainless P clamps http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/marshfasteners/products.asp?dept=128 as tie off points for your line or use an eyebolt.

You'd need to epoxy the sections together, but I imagine it'd be pretty damn strong with the 1/4" thick walls.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay, I think I have everything mounted and I am prepared to use my rigged righting pole. I utilized a cut down windsurfing mast with rubber hourglass base. I attached this to the dolphin striker using a modified aluminum gooseneck from a bicycle ($8 at local bike store). I riveted two blocks near the end of the mast using eye straps. I also riveted two clam cleats about 3' from the base of the mast for rope adjustment. The righting line is continuous from front crossbar to block through the cleat back through the cleat on the other side with slack, though the block and back to the front crossbar.

I thought the rig came out well and can't wait to see how easy it is to right the boat. I am sure there may be adjustments after the first use, but it appears to that it will work great for about $40 worth of parts and extra windsurfing pieces.....The following pictures just show the attachment to the dolphin striker as I just riveted and rigged alst night and could not take pictures in the dark. I'll follow-up with rigged pictures as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep...that's pretty much exactly how I have mine run so you should be good to go. As mentioned, I can get mine up on my own using this system (although I only did it twice) so sailing solo now has considerably more piece of mind.

Now you're ready to come cruise up the inside of Vancouver Island for a week next July to scope out beaches for my race in 2011!! :)

David

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If the economy picks-up a bit I am in. Being the owner of a business, I am working harder than ever to keep my employees. If we are going on all cylinders by then I will come cruise the beautiful Vancouver Island as well as get some good surfing in. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here are the rigging pictures. I am looking forward to using the system.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Now you're ready to come cruise up the inside of Vancouver Island for a week next July to scope out beaches for my race in 2011!!

I bet sailing over from Sequim or Port Angeles would be easier than trailering through customs, driving through Vancouver and taking a ferry. Could be exciting. Where are you on Vancouver Island?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, it probably wouldn't take more than a few hours to get across to Victoria if you get that nice afternoon westerly that sweeps down the Strait. That would be worth the trip in itself. I'm not on Vancouver Island but on Gambier Island in Howe Sound about 30 minutes north of Vancouver.

Here's the map:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 0&t=h&z=13

This has just got me thinking that maybe it would be fun to host an informal "Around the Sound" weekend, invite a bunch of boats up to Gambier.... we have a big sheltered beach and tons of room for camping. If you can't make that, I'm sailing from Victoria to Port Hardy in July of next year to check out the more remote beaches for the race. Company would be welcome.

Here's the route:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 14&t=h&z=7

Let us know when you try the new pole.

David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice setup ! just one question ... how do you get the pole out to 90 degree to the boat ? from the look of the bicycle gooseneck it doesn't rotate but one direction ? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You attach the mast to the gooseneck using a windsurfing mast cup and rubber hour-glass. This is the joint that attaches the mast to a windsurf board. I have never seen one fail. They do start to crack with old age so inspection is needed, but this one is about 28 years old and does not show signs of wear. It also has webbing that would hold in case the rubber broke. Very flexible.

it is shown on this website. http://www.mariner-sails.com/product_list.asp?id=8804If you order one I would go for the mechanical joint, but I had the rubber one laying around that needed to be replaced anyways. You would also need the base cup kit. If you call around to windsurfing shops they most likely will have broken masts that they would love to sell for a few bucks. The length of mine is around 11', but I am waiting to use before I adjust.

i can't wait to use it! :twisted: