Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had my 21sc since December and have had a crazy fun time careening around Dana Point... BUT I've had the darnedest time getting the jennaker to furl-up consistently. More than half the time, the top "un-furls" itself when going up wind in a decent breeze. I've been resorting to lowering the furled sail when not in use. I DON'T have a swivel at the head of the sail, but want to be sure that'll solve the problem before shelling out the $80... Something tells me it might not be the cure.

P.S. today's sail was AMAZING in the Santa Ana conditions: wind at surface was ZERO, but blowing 15 just off the surface, so I was blasting across a GLASSY ocean with very little apparent wind on my face... very surreal!

-Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Join the club! :cry: I have swivel at the top, and if you shop around you should be able to get an anchor swivel for less http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststan.html

I wish I could tell you what you're doing wrong, but I'm still trying to figure that out myself witrh my limited experience using the Jennaker. One issue has been getting a consistant number of wraps as it furls. I've found myself with no line left on the drum, or too much line on the drum, and plenty of sail still to be furled among oter issues similar to yours. I know it makes no sense as it's just an oversized Jib, but they sure seem to have a mind of their own.

You could wrap a bungee around it to keep it furled until it's ready to use, but this is really a band aid, rather than a cure.

If you figure it out...let us all know! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:53 am 
Site Admin

A swivel will not fix this. The sail was designed for light... downwind sailing. Once heading upwind when furled, it is best to drop the jenniker. Most furled sails will tend to unfurl when exposed to higher wind speeds. The jenniker more so due to the full sail shape, lighter cloth weight and low tension on the furling system.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Matt. That explains part of the equation. I'll probably just wrap a line or bungee around mine to keep it from unfurling, as I like having a clear tramp up front.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt!
You saved me HOURS of experimenting... I didn't like how the furled sail disturbed the airflow to the jib anyway...
-Jimbo