Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sails and the rules
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I "know" that any sailmaker can make class legal sails for the Hobie 21 SE, but the rules don't actually say that. The general section of the rules at the beginning says if the sails don't come from Hobie Cat then they're not class legal. Fine for the 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, (I snuck the 19 in there to see if you were counting). Then down in the Hobie 21 section of the rules it has a diagram as an adjunct to section 5.8 of the Hobie 21 rules. The diagram details the sail dimensions and there's also a description of the ISAF procedure for measuring sails. There is no rule 5.8 in the Hobie 21 rules. Is there someplace where it says what Calvert, Ullman, Whirlwind, and a whole bunch of other guys are telling me? :?

Post subject: Re: Sails and the rules
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Most of the sail makers that I talked to said the you can go 5% oversize with a square top and still be class legal....but then again, there are not enough H21's around to worry about being class legal. You are usually the only H21 in the race. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jetblast
H21SE

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Big Whoop,
What style sails are you considering?Salty Dog made my main (standard size)and Randy Smyth made my storm jib and jib sail (standard but he made it as a mirror image).My spinnaker is a Doyle Prosail and someday I want a different forward sail..maybe a reacher? Any suggestion would be great...thanks,Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doyle made the kites used the first year of the ProSail series. They were all the same size and fairly small and round as I remember. The series furnished the chutes. After the first year, you could use whatever you wanted-run what you brung- as long as it was ABOVE minimum size. I don't remember anyone using a Doyle chute after the first year. I'm thinking yours would most likely be one of the ones from the first year. They all got a LOT bigger after those first ones since you were only bound by minimum luff, leech, and foot measurements. North had made me a flat, close reacher and it turned out to be useful in only two races out of all the races in several seasons. The last race on San Francisco bay in 1989 had tight reaches because of a wind shift and the only two boats in the fleet that had those North sails finished 1 & 2 simply because of the sails. Lower almost always proved faster with these boats, and a course has to be set with really tight reaches to be worth the little bit of difference in having two sails.

If anyone wants to have a jib made to factory spec, I have one that's no good for anything else other than a pattern if you want it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not asking about buying sails, I'm actually pleased with what I have now. A flat top Whirlwind main. Ullmann jib, and a spare Sprint flat top main. My question is about the rules. When I was shopping I concluded, from reading the rules that a flat top was possible. Then when I contacted sailmakers they usually said that they had been doing flat tops for years and that any maker could make sails for the 21. Now after a few years and a rereading of the rules I'm asking "Where does it say that my Whirlwind main is class legal?" If you notice the Hobie 21 is the only class that has a sail dimensions diagram in its rules. Clearly not needed if only Hobie Cat is going to make the sails. So by including the ISAF sail measurement guidelines and sail dimensions in the rules it is implied that sails can be made to those dimensions, But not stated, I won't get into the fact that the diagram is related to Rule 5.8 and there is no rule 5.8.