Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21se Across the pond
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have finally been getting out on our 21se in the Thames Estuary in the U.K. i think we have been out five times in the last 7 weeks. 3 of these have been in a force 5 gusting a 6, i was really surprised at how manageable this beast can be with 2 people and just the main sail up and the genoa furled. We did have a closeish call whilst close reaching, main and genoa up, 2 on the wire and myself sat as far back on the wing as possible with my legs wrapped around the wing arms. We were chasing some F18's that were racing hard and buried the nose in the water, the whole back of the boat lifted up in the air as it tried to do a submarine impression! but it was in slow motion. as it did this both the crew went round the forestay missing all the rigging and the spinnaker pole and landed in the water on the opposite side of the boat! which then rounded up into wind and scooped them both up on the leeward wing and they fell onto the tramp in hystrics! both unscathed and the only brakeage was a bit of bungy from the trapeze wires. I am definatly going to get a righting pole sorted out underslung as it just gives that sense of safety. Absoblutly love this boat and thanks to everyone on the site for the idea and inspirations to get ours going !!!!

UKSail

Post subject: Re: 21se Across the pond
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been out 5 of the last 7 weekends sailing my 21SE and loved it.The wind over Labor day Weekend was awesome and I wish I had crew but I did as best I could by myself.My straw hat blew off my head on a down wind run and I did a quick tack to retrieve it.I grabbed that hat while sitting on my lines without really noticing when a strong gust came from behind me and picked up the back of my 21 SE.The rudders were coming out of the water and the hulls were taking a dive!At the last moment I release the sheets and turned windward somewhat without pitch-poling it.What a rush...Bill 404 21SE

Post subject: Re: 21se Across the pond
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="Bill 404"]What a rush...Bill 404 21SE[/quote]

love it bill.

I have a couple of photos on flickr, if you would to take a look be my guest. just goto www.flickr.com and search for people UKSail.