Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

greetings, i have been reading all the posts and am excited about the possibility of buying a used 21 se here locally, I have sailed my h18 all summer and had a blast,
i have been looking at this 21 for years out in someones back yard and they finally put it for sale. It need new sails and some repairs to the hull, possible freezeup from wing socket? what is there to be on the lookout for. It wasnt sailed hard and always fresh water. Probably new running rigging. would love any feedback from you 21se sailors. Pros, cons
thanks for any input.
Anyone in New england area with 21se
Ted

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good Morning Ted,
I have owned my 21SE since '89 when I brought it new at a boat show in Indianapolis.It is is very fine shape today because I always took care of it.
You should examine those wing socket carefully.Fill them with water and see if any water leaks into boat.Repairing a cracked wing socket isn't too difficult if the crack is small.I have repaired my over the years with great results.The first time I fixed one,I was a little worried but it really wasn't very hard at all since my leak problem was slight.If you buy that boat or just get more serious,call me and I will walk you through it.
I did replace my original sails after the third season with some dacron sails that still look fine today.I also had a storm jib made that I have used only when the wind really howls . My spinnaker is OK too and original.
The 21SE is almost bullet proof as far as durability.Be sure the trailer can handle the load of that big boat(telescopic design)
Show your boat some good love and it will last and last,I am going to wax my Hobie this afternoon....Bill 404 21SE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Be prepared for the expenditures. Typical BOAT, break out another $thousand$, if they did not take care of it. As you may have seen with my posts, it is the best of the Hobies, most powerful, largest by far, indestructable (built like a tank), and foregiving to sail. Make sure the boat is complete or you will spend a lot of time and effort finding parts.

pros are: can easily handle 6 adults, very powerful, wings are deluxe, spinnaker, catches every sail boat on the lake so far....

Cons are: wide to trailer, generally not a solo boat, definitely don't want to rig solo, majpr parts are hard to come by.

Good luck and I would say if it is sailable you will not regret it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

well went and surveyed the boat for final time and made the deal, will pick up our new 1989 new to us h 21 se # 378 needs a little attention to bottom where wing tube froze and cracked bottom, buff and wax. then wait for spring icebreaking sail.
Boat has the original yellow, orange sail, with what looks like heavy threads and a clear laminate over that. it is in rough shape and will need replaceing. is there any way to repair delaminations till they are replaced???
Thanks for any insight
Ted

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thats great another proud 21SE owner. Please post pictures when you have a chance. If the sails are delaminating I would not spend money fixing them. Call Chip at Whirlwind for another set.

Let us know if you have any questions about rigging....